cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

As per cc's suggestion, a thread for relatively higher dollar children's books sold on eBay and the ensuing discussions.
Message 1 of 1,283
latest reply
1,282 REPLIES 1,282

Re: Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

Hmmmm, one wonders of this limited edition preceded the first printing trade edition, of a book which would go on to win the illustrious Newbery Medal award.

Item 150649401928 sold for $378 on Aug. 23, 2011

The Graveyard Book
by Neil Gaiman
Subterranean Press Signed Limited Edition, New In Slipcase!

Number 292 of just 500 signed and numbered copies!

Subterranean Press is proud to present the Limited Edition of Neil Gaiman's new novel, a masterwork that will appeal to both children and adults. This edition is larger than the trade hardcover, printed on Mohawk Superfine, bound with an Iris cloth spine and marbled papers over the boards, with premium endsheets. It also includes:

– New and very different design from the Harpers and Bloomsbury editions
– New illustrations
– New photographic sections adding atmosphere under the title pages at the beginning, and under the Interlude chapter;
– Use of two colour and duotone throughout;
– Full colour section at the end, with alternate covers, roughs and sketches.

About the Book:
Hear this tragic tale: a sleeping family, a talented murderer, and an adventurous toddler -- orphaned, but not assassinated. Small and alone, by accident and luck he escapes the scene of the crime and climbs a grassy hill to safety. At the top of the hill the boy finds a fence, and on the other side, a dark, quiet place.

And what is to become of him?

Message 736 of 1,283
latest reply

A nice book illustrated by Humphrey Bogart's mother.

Item 110734352920 sold for $202.50 on Aug. 26, 2011

Babes of The Year by Maud Humphrey - 1888

Description: Fabulous vintage Maud Humphrey 1888 First Edition 'Babes of the Year' book complete with twelve full color/full page illustrations. All twelve color plates are in perfect condition. Copyright 1888 Frederick A. Stokes & Brother. Gorgeous color plates of these children. Color is fabulous. Shown are just a few pictures.

Dimensions: 7 1/2" x 9 1/2"

Condition: Book is in wonderful condition for its age. No torn pages. Binding is good. Just some wear on the book edges.

Message 737 of 1,283
latest reply

Item 270787122904 sold for $310 on Sep. 4, 2011

THE VERY RARE 1961 Wizard Of OZ Frank Baum DICK MARTIN

"THE WIZARD OF OZ" by L Frank Baum.  Copyright 1961.  THIS IS THE EXTREMELY RARE REILLY & LEE EDITION ILLUSTRATED BY DICK MARTIN!  And what makes this book even MORE RARE is that it is in RARE LIBRARY BINDING!  LIBRARY BINDING OZ BOOKS ARE BECOMING MORE AND MORE COLLECTIBLE!  Unpaginated.  I read the story to ensure all pages are indeed present.  Adapted by Jean Kellogg.

I sold a similar copy on Ebay (regular binding) this past spring for $800.  The reason this large format 1961 edition of The Wizard of Oz illustrated by Dick Martin is SO RARE is due to several reasons.  First, the binding on this particular book was very weak.  Most children who had this book years ago and handled it would find the book slowly falling apart due to poor binding and most parents would throw the book away because of this.  Also another contributing reason may be because in 1961 the market was saturated with so many copies of The Wizard of Oz by other publishers that this edition may not have sold well.  The publisher printed 3 other Oz books in this series (all illustrated by Dick Martin).  The most rare in this series is The Wizard of Oz followed by Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz which is very hard-to-find while The Land of Oz and Ozma of Oz can be found more easily.

The library bound editions are as scarce as the regular binding editions!  I love the library binding on this particular book.  One of my favorite Dick Martin illustrations!

Now on to the book's condition.  Book's exterior shows light wear and light soiling with a light pen mark at the top near the "D" on Wizard.  This library bound book was the property of The Marenisco School District in Marenisco, Michigan.  The book has its regular library markings.  The binding in this copy is pretty strong and tight.  However, at the very bottom inside pages closest to the spine most pages have small tears and a few pages have some old tape (small pieces of tape) in those areas.  This is a sign of how the binding could have easily come apart over time after being handled by many more hands but the good thing with this book is that its binding obviously was stronger than most.  Aside from a few other small tiny tears on a few pages and a few smudge marks here and there the interior pages are in good condition.  There are plentiful black/white illlustrations as well as many full page or double page color illustrations by Dick Martin.

NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO OWN THIS VERY RARE BOOK IN ITS VERY RARE LIBRARY BINDING!!!"

Message 738 of 1,283
latest reply

:_|

Message 739 of 1,283
latest reply

Though there is something magical about saying it is so and LOW (lol) it IS so.

Message 740 of 1,283
latest reply

Well, there is one thing I gleaned from the description, without a doubt--this particular copy is RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;\

No offense intended to the seller, but...." I read the story to ensure all pages are indeed present."

One could also use pagination?  Or, is pagination only in the imagination?

Do booksellers pick and choose which books they want to ascertain are complete?

I appreciate this thread and have learned from it. Thank you picture*books for continuing it.

Message 741 of 1,283
latest reply

I just sold The Tall Book of Make-Believe with illustrations by Garth Williams for a penny short of $100.

This is a title to look for:  It seems that nearly every printing and re-issue, either by Harper and Brothers, Harper and Row, or Harper Collins, will easily sell for close to $100 with DJ and over $50 without.

Completed auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?rt=nc&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=tall%20book%20of%20make%20believe&_dmpt=US_C...

I remembered that I posted about this book shortly after I bought it at the AAUW sale last November:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Booksellers/Post-Last-Weekends/510232828?start=450#msg524340771

In that posting, I wrote, "For some reason, comps of this book are priced at $50+."

Seeing as how so many recent sales have topped off around $100, I would guess that this book is steadily rising in value in the collectible children's book market.

Message 742 of 1,283
latest reply

One could also use pagination?  Or, is pagination only in the imagination?

Do booksellers pick and choose which books they want to ascertain are complete?

I appreciate this thread and have learned from it. Thank you picture*books for continuing it.

You're welcome babamarusia, happy to be of some help.

I didn't know the 1968 Harper & Row reprint of this book was also published in real animal fur. Apparently so.

Item 190536464099 sold for $350 Best Offer on Sep. 9, 2011

Margaret Wise Brown. Little Fur Family. MINIATURE book

Little Fur Family. 
by Brown, Margaret Wise with Illustrations by Garth Williams.

Publisher Information:
Harper and Row [1968]

originally published in 1946, this minature version is covered in real fur. later editions were issued with artifical fur [or no fur at all]. Show here are two scans, one of the box, and the other of the book. 3-1/4 x 4-1/2.

Edition: First as such. 
Binding: Hardbound 
Condition: a fine copy in the original printed box.

Message 743 of 1,283
latest reply

Nice price for this original Richard Scarry work from an LGB 2-page spread. Scarry is a very collectible contemporary children's book illustrator. Although Scarry never garnered a major illustration award, his books have sold over 100 million copies, and videos based upon his books have become quite popular with the pre-schoolers.

Item 140596206874 sold for $899 on Sep. 5, 2011

MY LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK OF MANNERS BOOK ORIGINAL ARTWORK

Illustrated by Richard Scarry -pgs 10-11

Up for auction is the original artwork for the MY LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK OF MANNERS LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK published by Simon & Schuster in 1962.

Includes:
Interior Page Art 10"x 15" pgs 10-11

Illustrated by Richard Scarry

Artwork is in very good condition.

Message 744 of 1,283
latest reply

I've hunted that book enough to know that the earliest printing is a lot darker than later..Night scenes look like night.

Message 745 of 1,283
latest reply

That note was for The 'Tall' book.

Message 746 of 1,283
latest reply

I found a Redbook Magazine dated June 1950 which featured Gustav The Goldfish written Dr. Seuss.  Picturebooks did a wonderful and helpful write up on this magazine.  Thank you so much. Great website!!!!

Anyways, I have no idea what this is worth.

Just wondering if someone could help me.

Thanks, Cheryl 

Message 747 of 1,283
latest reply

I found a Redbook Magazine dated June 1950 which featured Gustav The Goldfish written Dr. Seuss.  Picturebooks did a wonderful and helpful write up on this magazine.  Thank you so much. Great website!!!!

Anyways, I have no idea what this is worth.

Just wondering if someone could help me.

Thanks, Cheryl

I assume you are going to sell it on eBay, and it is in VG condition. I think the issue is worth over $100, but you probably won't get anywhere near that. Prolly in the $20-$30 range, depending upon the auction description and the Seuss collectors who stumble upon it.

Feel free to use any of the material in the website in your auction description.

Message 748 of 1,283
latest reply

Thank you so much for the quick response.

Sounds good!

It probably will be a buy-it-now then.

Thanks again!:-x

Message 749 of 1,283
latest reply

Thank you so much for the quick response.

Sounds good!

It probably will be a buy-it-now then.

Thanks again!:-x

You're welcome Cheryl.

The Gustav Redbook issue coupled with the book, A Fish Out Of Water, would be a viable auction alternative, especially so a first edition of the later.

Currently, Dr. Seuss is not credited for authorship of A Fish Out Of Water, instead his wife, Helen Palmer, is perceived as the originator of the story. Obviously, my article places this perception in dispute.

If the book were sold side-by-side with the Redbook issue, it is indisputable that Seuss authored the story. Comparable prices would be the first editions of the other Beginner Books authored by Seuss and illustrated by others, which routinely sell in the $300-to-$500 range.

Message 750 of 1,283
latest reply