cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

As per cc's suggestion, a thread for relatively higher dollar children's books sold on eBay and the ensuing discussions.
Message 1 of 1,283
latest reply
1,282 REPLIES 1,282

Margaret Wise Brown MAN IN THE MANHOLE 1946 TRUE 1st DJ
One her rarest books!!
Item number: 190204540933 sold for $2592 on Mar. 16, 2008

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Mar-16-08 20:54 PDT
Very surprising price, the only copy I've seen. From the item description:

"TRUE 1st Edition of the THE MAN IN THE MANHOLE AND THE FIX-IT MEN by Margaret Wise Brown and Edith Thacher Hurd in Dust Jacket!!

One of Margaret Wise Brown's Rarest Books!!
THE MAN IN THE MANHOLE AND THE FIX-IT MEN

By Juniper Sage [Pseudonym of the collaboration of Margaret Wise Brown and Edith Thacher Hurd] Illustrated by Bill Ballantine

NEW YORK: WILLIAM R. SCOTT, PUBLISHER 1946

TRUE First Edition, First Printing, First Issue with all issue points including correct price, etc.

Very scarce, I have never seen any First Editions of this book available anywhere. Wonderfully illustrated!!

Unpaginated. Quarto (9 3/4" x 8")

Condition: Good+ in Good Dust Jacket"

jakoll (1065 ) View Listings | Report Mar-16-08 21:01 PDT 1 of 2
Same seller....good stuff....never seen one either.

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Mar-17-08 07:00 PDT 2 of 2
I know that Margaret Wise Brown is a very collectible children's book author, and Edith Thatcher Hurd to a smaller degree, however did not think this book would reach such price heights. And on eBay of all places.

The Caldecott Medal book she authored, The Little Island (Medal won by Leonard Weisgard for illustrations) is another tough get in VG+ condition. We had the book priced at $500 in CPBPG, however this now seems low in light.

MWB's most popular book is Goodnight, Moon, illustrated by Edith Thatcher Hurd's husband, Clement Hurd, is very difficult to find; I've only seen one first edition copy over the years. Goodnight, Moon was listed twice on Publisher's Weekly list of bestselling children's hardcover books, the board book at #33 (3.7 MM copies sold) and also #48 (2.7MM copies sold). The Publisher's Weekly list is a good one to mine for potential high dollar books.
Message 16 of 1,283
latest reply

Dr Seuss TRUE 1st Issue DJ McElligot's Pool 1947 WOW!!
1st Issue DJ Random House .... under dotted line on DJ
Item number: 260212517176 sold for $3250 on Feb. 23, 2008

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Feb-24-08 11:43 PST
A difficult first edition Seuss to find, McElligot's Pool, recently sold on eBay for $3250. If you are a Seuss bookseller or collector, then save the back flap image for future reference. From the item description:

"McElligot's Pool; Written and illustrated By Dr Seuss. Published By Random House NY 1947

Scarce 1st edition, 1st state, fish on the front cover has mouth open, The correct 7 line copyright notice is present, Dust Jacket is 1st issue according to Hirsch and Younger Bibliography has correct price listed only in the upper corner of the front DJ flap, and no price on the rear flap.

The ALL IMPORTANT 1st issue Dustjacket point "McElligots' pool, Dr Seuss , Random House "is printed below the dotted line which is located on the left bottom corner of the rear flap ( see pics)

Boards are Light green cloth with dark green lettering on spine and front cover, illustration and letters in dark green; spine tips and corners lightly rubbed, NO soil on boards. Top edge lightly sunned. Binding and spine are tight.

Dustcover slightly chipped at corners and head of spine, few short tears, Not price clipped 250/250.

The pages are crisp and fresh looking and free of soil Illustrations are Bright and beautiful. There is some residue from what I believe to be a sticker on the inside front and backboard.

There are a number of Varient issues for sale on the internet but no 1st issue. The last Auction I could find a 1st issue was back in 2004.

Truly a very scarce issue Dr Seuss Book "

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Feb-24-08 12:19 PST 1 of 2
The Youngers have corrected the first edition issue points for McElligot's Pool on their corrections page:

"p. 131-3 - State "a" does not have the price on the rear flap."

The corrections page can be found here:
http://www.alephbet.com/corrections.htm

Note they were gracious enough to credit us for corrections on If I Ran The Zoo and Horton Hears A Who.
Message 17 of 1,283
latest reply

Millions of Cats, Limited first Edition #3 by Wanda Gag
Item number: 290209738728 sold BIN $2000 on Feb. 26, 2008

Obviously some condition issues. Many do not know this edition exists. If in the market, be certain the etching is present. From the item description:

"This is antique Book “Millions of Cats” Limited First Edition, Hard cover book. First edition # 3 of 250 with original hard back binder, signed illustrator rendering, certificate of authentication, original signature of writer and illustrator on title page and book inside flap.

Five pieces to this book: The original clear sleeve, the hardcover book slipcase, the book, the certificate, and the original signed illustration. Books listed price is $2,000. Book is a rare antique, and very old.

The hardcover slipcase that fits outside of the actual book has very little binding left, although front and back cover is in good condition. It is in two pieces consisting of front and back cover. The actual book is in perfect condition and cannot be covered by slip casing or clear jacket. The clear sleeve is frail and should not be handled frequently."
Message 18 of 1,283
latest reply

Nancy Drew Clue in the Diary w/ DJ-1932-True 1st- Rare!
Item number: 130197346681 sold for $2750 on Feb. 17, 2008

Competitive auction, with four bidders over $2000. From the item description:

"Book number 7 in the Nancy Drew series- The Clue in the Diary with dustjacket. This is the very hard to find 1932A-1 or true first printing per Farah's Guide.

Front flap of Brodart protected jacket lists to Red Gate Farm, back flap lists 11 Blythe Girls titles and back of jacket lists 10 Amy Bell Marlowe titles. Reverse side of jacket lists tons of other Grosset titles including Nancy Drew ending at Secret at Shadow Ranch.

Jacket with bright color in overall wonderful condition. Tiny bit of paper loss on corners of front of jacket (along with just the tiniest of wear at the very bottom) and light soiling on the back of jacket. The only issue to really mention is that there were 3/4 to one inch vertical tears at the very top of the spine (actually directly on the left and right fold flaps) and some moderate to heavy wrinkling from the spine top down just past the "Carolyn Keene" section. Spine also has light chipping at the top (but no lettering affected) while the bottom of the spine has no chipping and the number "7" fully present. I went ahead and sealed the tears on the reverse side of the jacket with professional grade Brodart repair tape to prevent any further damage to this scarce jacket.

Now on to the book itself which is just about as hard to find as the jacket since there was only one printing of this title with blank endpapers. Book has nice bright blue boards with just some very,very light fading on the spine. Blank endpapers in nice condition with just a neat cursive name written in the front and a price of $2.00 written very small in green ink. Binding is overall tight although it is quite cocked/slanted. Cool glossy frontispiece fully intact and the 202 pages are clean and creamy white. Front of the book lists to Clue in the Diary while in the back, it also lists to this title."
Message 19 of 1,283
latest reply

Little Golden Book "The Poky Little Puppy/WDJ" 1st ed.
Item number: 310026050719 sold for $665 on Mar. 1, 2008

$665 is the highest I can recall for an LGB on eBay.

Poky Little Puppy
topped Publisher's Weekly 2001 List of All-Time Bestselling Children's Books (several of the Harry Potter books have topped 14 million now), which increases it's desirability.

From the auction description:

"#8 ."THE POKY LITTLE PUPPY' 1ST EDITION 1942. Exterior condition of the book and dust jacket is EXCELLENT and has been professionally covered with mylar.The interior is excellent, free of any markings.. No name in owners box."
Message 20 of 1,283
latest reply

... professionally covered with mylar .... 😐
Message 21 of 1,283
latest reply

Thanks I always like this topic
I used to just walk by the boxes and boxes of kid lit
not for a while now'
Thanks ZL

. ...............................................................................
JOHN McCAIN in 08
**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Message 22 of 1,283
latest reply

Since this is an old auction, it is not accessible except for eBay's most cash-extortionate forms of completed auction search.

I pay about $25 a month for Marketplace Research. I'd pay $50 without grumbling. It's a valuable research tool. Amazon offers something similar (though it's deeper) but charges hundreds a month. Few booksellers have the stomach for studying the market, so it makes sense to make it fee-based - to keep it out of the hands of those who might abuse it!
Message 23 of 1,283
latest reply

Thank you all, especially zlinda, for all this valuable learning information. I have yet to find a kids' book which took in more than $25.00 but I'm looking in a more educated way as a result of this thread and other info' that more experienced children's book finders share here!
THANKS AGAIN!
Message 24 of 1,283
latest reply

THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN BIG GOLDEN BOOK 1959
Item number: 120245342724 sold for $784 on April 17, 2008

Surprisingly high, with 3 bidders over $500, this Big Golden Book is not too common, and had the interest of LGB and Tintin collectors:

"THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN BIG GOLDEN BOOK 1959
Up for auction is a(n) THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN THE CRAB WITH THE GOLDEN CLAWS BIG GOLDEN BOOK published by Golden Press in 1959.

It's in very good condition. Uncirculated.

Thanks for looking and happy bidding!!

•All items come directly from the Western Printing/Golden Book archive.
"
Message 25 of 1,283
latest reply

Zlinda
ever seen this series sell

four Cloth oversize
titles oof four

. ...............................................................................
JOHN McCAIN in 08

have you Seen the Other two choices.
**************************************************************************************** 1934 vappleton it was not until early next morning,when the last electrical connection had been repaired that TOM,weary but confident, gav the order:
TRY HER NOW!
Message 26 of 1,283
latest reply

due2cents: I'm not familiar with this series.
Message 27 of 1,283
latest reply

"Green eggs and Ham" why the difference in covers"

2dolladickie (35 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 06:01 PST
I have seen sellers with 1st editions of Green Eggs and Ham for sale and there seems to be 2 different covers, excluding dustjacket. One cover shows the Cat in the Hat character on the upper right corner. Then there is a version without it. I was wondering if this perhaps dated the printing of this title? Which version came 1st? Thanks

fine.books (822 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 08:42 PST 1 of 32
I believe that the First is New York; 1960; Beginners Books, publishers (no mention of Random House either on the binding or within the textblock), and has the "50 Word Vocabulary" boss printed on the binding, and a "50 Word Vocabulary" sticker affixed to the dustwrapper, rather than having it printed directly on the jacket, as in later issues.

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 09:16 PST 2 of 32
The first edition book does not have the Beginner Book logo on the front cover, and has "Distributed By Random House" beneath "BEGINNER BOOKS, INC" on the copyright page.

Green Eggs and Ham was published during the time Beginner Books, Inc. was sold to Random House. Prior to the sale, Beginner Books were distributed by Random House; after the sale, Beginner Books became a "Division of Random House."

The first edition book can be found with three different dust jackets.

The first edition dust jacket has the Beginner Book logo as a sticker on the front cover. The 2nd issue dust jacket has the Beginner Book logo printed on the front DJ. Both have "Distributed By Random House" on the bottom of the back DJ.

The 3rd issue DJ is similar to the 2nd issue, with the printed logo, however has a "Division of Random House" replacing the "Distributed..." verbiage.

All three issues of the dust jacket can be found with the first edition book.

Book collectors consider the first edition book in the first issue DJ to be the true "first edition." This book sells for $4000+ in the market, and will bring $1500+ on eBay. The first edition book in the 2nd issue DJ will sell for $300+ in the market, and will bring $150+ on eBay.

Note that the Beginner Books listed on the back of the 1st,2nd, and 3rd issue DJ's are the same. The 2nd edition DJ will list additional Beginner Books.

2dolladickie (35 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 09:42 PST 3 of 32
So, would I be correct in assuming that a book that does not have the "beginner" logo on the cover, but does say "a division of" instead of "distributed by" is a transitional book? That is, after Random purchased Beginner but before they put the logo on the cover?
Thanks for the very interesting information.

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 09:57 PST 4 of 32
The "A Division of" with no logo was used on Green Eggs up until the mid-1960's, so is more than a transitional book. For some reason, the Beginner Book logo was not printed on the cover for a number of years. Without the DJ, it would be difficult to establish a year for such a book, the range of publication would be 1961 to 1966-1968 or so. I'll look through our Green Eggs to see if I can lock down the year the printed logo was added to the book.

2dolladickie (35 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 10:06 PST 5 of 32
Thank you, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm finding it hard not to get a little obsessed with some of these books and series. I love the hunt and research.

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 10:25 PST 6 of 32
"I love the hunt and research."

Join the crowd!

This is a good forum to ask questions about book collecting and book selling.

The dust jacketed Beginner Books are a fun place to start a children's picturebook collection, since the DJ's were stopped in 1972/73, and the later issue books in DJ are affordable and moderately available. We initially collected a complete set in DJ, then slowly acquired the first edition books in DJ.

The first 35 Little Golden Books are much the same, issued in DJ's from 1942-1947, than sans DJ after that. It's funny that I rarely run into a LGB in DJ in a brick & mortar bookstore, however they are to be found on eBay.

2dolladickie (35 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 10:42 PST 7 of 32
My wife and I have been collecting Little Golden Books for about 32 years so we are very familiar with them. I think there is only a small handful of these books that we have not had at least once. We started with the other board books such as Rand McNally, Wonder Books, Whitman tell-a-tales about 10 years ago. We still love these but am excited about expanding into new territories such as the earlier children's book pre-1940's, Dr Suess, I'm also very interested in the Follett just beginning to read series from the 60's. You are right, this is a great forum with very nice people and a bank full of treasured knowledge.
thanks
Message 28 of 1,283
latest reply

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 10:52 PST 8 of 32
Another good series is the 'I Can Read' series started by Harper & Brothers in 1957 with Maurice Sendak's Little Bear. In addition to the Sendak books in the series, the early Syd Hoff books (Danny and the Dinosaur, Julius, Chester, etc...) have the potential to become highly collectible, since they've stayed in print and been read by millions.

Stan and I have been accumulating first edition points for the Harper & Brothers books published from 1957-1962. We've recently talked with Cliff Erickson (To & Again Books), who is in the process of doing a bibliography of the series, including the Harper & Row editions. Cliff is given acknowledgments in both the Younger/Hirsch Seuss bibliography and the Santi LGB price guide. He and his wife sell under the eBay id babboe - we've bought many a book over the years from them on and off eBay. Very knowledgable about children's books.

2dolladickie (35 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 11:09 PST 9 of 32
Thans for the info. I will look into the Harper Brothers "I Can Read" series. We love Sendak, and we are always on the look out for his early books when we are out book hunting. In fact, just yesterday we ran across an early printing of Syd Hoff's Danny and the Dinosaur at a thrift store for the blind, but my wife decided against buying it. Usually its because of condition. I'm going to check out Cliff's ebay site. The id Babboe sounds familiar. Thanks again

2dolladickie (35 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 11:28 PST 10 of 32
Speaking of Harper & Row Maurice Sendak's Little Bear, we picked up a copy with the dust jacket a few days ago but I think it must be a later printing as the price on the inner flap of the Dust cover seems too high for 1957 ($3.95). The copyright page gives 2 standard book numbers, a trade edition and a harpercrest edition. Are these numbers significant? Is there any significant 1st edition attribution? I just thought it ironic that you had mentioned this title and we had just found one a couple of days ago.

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 11:52 PST 11 of 32
Joyce Hanrahan's bibliography is considered the definitive on first edition Sendak books. She indicates the Harper & Brothers' book has a black cloth spine, however the DJ is required for first edition identification. $2.50 on top right front flap, "40-80/No.7690A" on bottom left front flap. Back flap continues Little Bear synopsis from front flap.

indexerkevin (333 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 12:04 PST 12 of 32
"The copyright page gives 2 standard book numbers, a trade edition and a harpercrest edition."

Sounds to me like you are possibly referring to ISBN numbers, in which case it can't be older than 70s.

indexerkevin (333 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 12:12 PST 13 of 32
Plus "Harper & Row" dates to 1962

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 12:14 PST 14 of 32
We have a copy of the Harper and Brothers' Harpercrest edition. It is only mentioned in Hanrahan as a "library edition at $3.25". Our copy has "HARPERCREST EDITION" on the front of the DJ. The bottom left front flap has the "40-80/No.7690A", then "Net $2.19" with a black outed box, we assume is where the $3.25 is. On the bottom right of the front flap is the four line paragraph "This library edition is/bound in soil-resistant,/washable cloth. It is/side-sewn and reinforced." The book is a green-blue cloth, very different than the first trade edition.

We also have a price clipped trade edition, however with "$1.95" printed in red ink on the top right flap, which is also mentioned in Hanrahan.

2dolladickie (35 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 12:26 PST 15 of 32
Sounds to me like you are possibly referring to ISBN numbers, in which case it can't be older than 70s.

It doesn't say ISBN, instead it says Standard Book Number, which may be another way of saying ISBN or a precursor to it. From the little searching I have done, the $3.95 price seems to date it around 1963-64 and goes for around $10.00.
I can see that I'm going to need to invest in a few reference books if I'm going to pursue these new areas in our book collecting.
thank you for your helpfulness.

2dolladickie (35 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 12:29 PST 16 of 32

Plus "Harper & Row" dates to 1962

Did they stop publishing in 1962?

If so, then my copy, which is published by Harper & Row, would have to be 1962 or earlier printing?

fine.books (822 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 12:34 PST 17 of 32

Harper and Brothers became Harper and Row when they branched out into textbook publishing with their merger with Row, Petersen and Company in 1961.

indexerkevin (333 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 12:37 PST 18 of 32
no Harper Brothers merged with Row in 1962 and thus any book with that is 1962 or after. Yeah the SBN are before ISBN but after 1957, so sounds like you have a copy maybe from mid-late 60s.

Your instinct about the price was a good one; I use that sort of trick too; but if the price is low enough, just get it and figure you're paying 50 cents or a buck for a lesson.

You know the whole you can afford to hang in for a lot more hands if its penny ante poker as opposed to dollar ante poker yada yada.

2dolladickie (35 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 12:38 PST 19 of 32
I get it. I didn't connect the Brothers to Row. Thanks

zlinda (1707 ) View Listings | Report Jan-19-08 12:44 PST 20 of 32
A key reference book to have is Lee Baumgarten's Price Guide and Bibliographical Check List, 2004 edition. Bang for the buck, definitely the best information for the dollar. Their prices are not current, the value of the book is the bibliographic information.

The Hanrahan book is over $50, and the Younger/Hirsch is over $150, both required if you collect Sendak or Seuss, however very specialized.

The Baumgarten's indicate this is the last edition of their guide, which is unfortunate. Do get the 2004 edition rather than the earlier ones.
Message 29 of 1,283
latest reply

Dr Seuss Green Eggs and Ham 1960 1st DJ Sticker Wow!!!!
Outstanding copy of very scarce 1st Issue

Item number: 260212504386 sold for $3250 on Feb 23, 2008

First edition with sticker recently sold on eBay for $3250, with three bidders over $2500. From the item description:

"Green Eggs And Ham; Written and Illustrated By Dr Seuss. Published By - Beginner Books Inc. Random House NY , 1960

First Edition, First Printing , First Issue in Near fine condition.

An Outstanding First edition with all correct First printing points according to Hirsch and Younger Bibliography. No Beginner Books logo on boards, correct ads on jacket, "Distributed by Random House" on rear bottom of Dust Jacket as well as title page. 50 Word Vocabulary sticker pasted on front of DJ

The only flaws are the slight crease on top edge of spine and lower edge of spine and PO name erased on front inside board. The dustjacket is stunning with virtually no soil - The colors are extremely bright and fresh and the front flap retains the original price of 195/195.

The interior pages are crisp and clean and completely free of soil or wear. Illustrations are bright and fresh. Other than the erased name the book is in as new , unread condition. Truly, A beautiful copy of a very scarce Dr Seuss Title"
Message 30 of 1,283
latest reply