Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

It sounds like a salesman's sample... Who is the publisher?

If you could post some photos, it would help.
Message 3526 of 4,794
latest reply

bloomkeepers
Enthusiast
> It sounds like a salesman's sample... Who is the publisher?
>
> If you could post some photos, it would help.

Thanks for reply!
I'd be happy to post some pics but not sure how on this site? Is there a place here that explains how to post pictures so you can see?
Also I work fulltime so if I don't get back until evenings thats the reason; I really want to pick your brain about these.
Bloomkeepers
Message 3527 of 4,794
latest reply

If you can't send the pictures, send the names and authors of the books that are being advertised in the saleman's samples.
Message 3528 of 4,794
latest reply

bloomkeepers- the easiest way (that I know) to post a picture to the boards is to open a free photo hosting account at Photobucket dot com, upload your pics there and then use the HTML tag they provide to copy it back to this board.

If you can't post a photo, listing the publisher, titles and authors of the books (as jeanppaulbooks mentioned) are probably the only way anyone can help you determine what you have.
Message 3529 of 4,794
latest reply

Hi,
Is there any way to determine the First Edition of : "To Kill a Mockingbird" without the dust jacket. I can not find any marks on the back hinge denoting BookClubEdition. I can not find a description of the color of boards on the first edition either. My book does not have a jacket , is published by Lippincott, copyright 1960 and states First Edition. The boards are tan with a light green color on the spine and part of the front. I do not want to list in error. Please tell me where to look! Thank you for this thread I am always referring back and continue to learn from all the knowledge you are willing to share!
Message 3530 of 4,794
latest reply

The First Edition states "First Edition."
Message 3531 of 4,794
latest reply

Thank you. I have had some books where that is not the case. I appreciate your quick reply.
Message 3532 of 4,794
latest reply

bloomkeepers
Enthusiast
Thanks so much for advice everyone! I uploaded some pics onto "Photo bucket" My picture taking skills need work but you can see at least part of them. I am still working on making some of the photos "viewable" but there's quite a few on PB now. Sorry I can only get here at night. Not allowed to use Internet at workplace & since a "State" job they download where we "surf".
Let me know what you think. Again I really appreciate the help!
Bloom

http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/vv303/bloomy_photos/2%20Old%20Salesman%20Books/
Bloomkeepers
Message 3533 of 4,794
latest reply

bloomkeepers
Enthusiast
> If you can't send the pictures, send the names and authors of the books that are being advertised in the salesman's samples.
Okay, here are examples of one of the books:
1) Mother Goose Rhymes and ABC's Union Book and Bible House Philadelphia, PA "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1905 by W.E. Scull, In the office of the librarian of Congress at Washington D.C.
2) Comic Animals and Their Adventures
3) Stories about Children Every Child should know By Charles Dickens. Related by his granddaughter, Mary Angela Dickens, and others. Superbly illustrated with many New Color Plates, half tones and pen sketches. Made especially by famous artists for this book
4) The Story of Jesus every child should know by Rev, Jesse Lyman Hurbut, D. D., Profusely Illustrated with color plates and half tone engravings.
There are more in this one..but I can't find publisher
The other one: 1 section has "Home Library & supply Association Boston, Mass. copyright 1904 Otto Hattrem. There is a section " The Child's Speaker" which has photographs made by "Gibson, the famous Artist" "compiled by Miss Susan A. Windes. I would take up a LOT of space if I write all; is this enough to go by? Thank you for your patience with me.
Bloomkeepers
Message 3534 of 4,794
latest reply

As blue*skies*ahead said, it is probably a salesman's sample. When you first posted the info, it looked like it might be a sample for 10 different books, but if you go to ABEBOOKS.com, and search for The Standard Book of Knowledge you will see that all ten books are in one volume--which is also stated on the cover of the sample. I don't know what the sample is worth, but the 1904 book itself has a range of $15 to $60.
Message 3535 of 4,794
latest reply

bloomkeepers
Enthusiast
> As blue*skies*ahead said, it is probably a salesman's sample. When you first posted the info, it looked like it might be a sample for 10 different books, but if you go to ABEBOOKS.com, and search for The Standard Book of Knowledge you will see that all ten books are in one volume--which is also stated on the cover of the sample. I don't know what the sample is worth, but the 1904 book itself has a range of $15 to $60.

Thanks for the info; I will check out ABEBOOKS.com. I had tried ADDALL w/o success.
And yes it says all ten books in one volume for "The Standard Book of Knowledge" but there are the other samples of books in there which are not part of that particular set. Example:" The New Mother Hubbard's" pink sheet; there's one prior to each book; talks about how many pages which are "made out of linen costing 6 times as much as paper!. The New Mother Hubbard is also bound in Linen with enameled lithographed covers, printed in 10 different colors and varnished. Price only .50Cents. The sample leaf which follows is taken from TNMH". Another sample the pink sheet says: Title: "Our Babies Christmas Jingles and Animal ABC's is the title of our MATCHLESS 50 Cent book 116 Large pages, 70 of which are printed in two colors. This book is expensive to manufacture. The puzzle pieces are the most entertaining features ever used in a book of this character".There are more but it would be a lot of information...Anyway...
Are their a lot of salesman's samples out there/here? Are salesman's samples wanted in an of themselves?
Satnrose do you have any other opinions and/or thoughts on the matter you could pass on? Thanks a bunch Jeanpaul!!
Bloom
Bloomkeepers
Message 3536 of 4,794
latest reply

Search "Salesman Sample" in the book category, and you will find a number of them offered for sale.
Message 3537 of 4,794
latest reply

Can anyone please explain to me why, when looking up books on Abe Books, etc, there is such a huge difference in the prices on any particular book. I have looked up some that sell from $1.99 to almost $200.00 for the exact same book. Why is this?

Her is just one for example: 0674615409
The New Harvard Guide to Psychiatry
Nicholi, Jr., MD
Belknap Press
Like New
Allbookstores.com $3.49-$163.95

How can I tell what this book is worth with a price range like this?
Message 3538 of 4,794
latest reply

bloomkeepers
Enthusiast
Thanks will do.
Appreciate all your help.
I love books and love to read; love the illustrations and artwork in old books but this type of knowledge is way over my head!
Guess I need to keep reading & reading and then read some more;especially on the books themselves.
Again my gratitude to you all. I'll be lurking & hopefully picking up some knowledge along the way...
Bloom
Bloomkeepers
Message 3539 of 4,794
latest reply

paws-are-us
Enthusiast
> Can anyone please explain to me why, when looking up books on Abe Books, etc, there is such a huge difference in the prices on any particular book. I have looked up some that sell from $1.99 to almost $200.00 for the exact same book. Why is this?
>
> Her is just one for example: 0674615409
> The New Harvard Guide to Psychiatry
> Nicholi, Jr., MD
> Belknap Press
> 1988
> Like New
> Allbookstores.com $3.49-$163.95
>
> How can I tell what this book is worth with a price range like this?

Hi! I am NOT a book expert by any means. But I can answer your question as I've seen it described here similarly.

Here's your example on abe: (From $1.00 - $177.63)

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&pn=belknap&sortby=1&tn=The+New+Harvard+Guide+to+Psychiatry&x=85&y=16

I have the results listed from Highest to lowest. You will note that the highest ($177.63), is the ONLY one in that range, the next lowest is $30 something...

So the first thing that tells me is that the highest is dreaming... who knows, maybe someone one needs one that is "pristine" and NEVER READ...

The remaining 32 results are between $30 something and $1.

It's been said to begin in the middle and adjust upwards or downwards depending on the Edition & Condition of your book compared to those being offered. Be sure you are comparing Apples to Apples...

1. Is yours a First Edition? - then compare yours to only other Firsts.
2. Do you have the DJ? - then compare yours to only those others having a DJ.

READ the write-ups.
Hope this helped ~ Good luck!
Message 3540 of 4,794
latest reply