latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

Thanks much, as always, oldbookshopnj.
Message 4411 of 4,794
latest reply

I have one final suggestion.

The Library of Congress has an "ask a question service," and you could ask them what color the binding is and whether there is a date on the title page. (Catalog entries are not always accurate on this point.) I've never used the service, but I have heard that you willget an answer, but it may take several days.

I have used the New York Public Library question service and gotten an answer, and the NYPL also has a copy of the 1938 edition.
Message 4412 of 4,794
latest reply

I'll try those services.

Thanks again, oldbookshopnj, for all the help and information you provided.
Message 4413 of 4,794
latest reply

I hadn't realized that the 1907 edition was published by Houghton Mifflin. That's probably the cause of the confusion for the 1938 printing. Although, with a change in the illustrator, wouldn't the 1938 edition also have been a first?

Epaminondas and his Auntie first appeared as a story in the Sara Cone Bryant book Stories to Tell to Children, published in 1907. In 1938 it was published as a stand alone picture book, and included illustrations by Inez Hogan. This would be first edition book.

The first edition Epaminondas and his Auntie with dust jacket would have appeal to a wide range of children's book collectors. Inez Hogan books are very collectible primarily due to her Nicodemus books, which the Epaminondas book is closely associated.

I had initially thought a first edition Epaminondas and his Auntie would have only modest value, but reconsidered after seeing how the prices of the Nicodemus books vary widely in the secondary market.

In your description do emphasize the Black Americana aspect of the story and the racist nature of the Hogan illustrations. Background information on Inez Hogan would also be helpful. I think the Hogan illustrations are more important to the value of the book than Bryant's authorship.
Message 4414 of 4,794
latest reply

Picture*books

Thanks for the information and suggestions.
Message 4415 of 4,794
latest reply

Can you give me any information about this book? I took the picture on the dinner table, the knifes and forks are underneath it 🙂 Thanks so much for looking 🙂

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Be tender to the young, compassionate to the aged, tolerant with the weak. For in your life you will be all of these.
Message 4416 of 4,794
latest reply

It's a Japanese book, and I do not read Japanese.

Is there any printed information inside the front cover?

If there is, a picture, possibly in better focus, might get a reply from someone who does read Japanese.
Message 4417 of 4,794
latest reply

I'll try to get a better picture,sorry. The inside of the front and back cover are showing in the picture; no writing just the drawings and what is printed on the front. I thought there was a name for books in Japanese that tell a story with drawings??? I'm getting old, if I could answer questions with a series of multiple choices my memory would appear astounding 🙂
Be tender to the young, compassionate to the aged, tolerant with the weak. For in your life you will be all of these.
Message 4418 of 4,794
latest reply

Okay, here is the picture, but the only writing is what is on the cover in this picture.

Photobucket
Message 4419 of 4,794
latest reply

I found a tech manual that I can't find any comps on.

TANDY 1000 TX TECHNICAL REFERENCE MANUAL
Cat. No. 25-1514

8-1/4" X 9", sectioned with tabs, hard cover
Published 1988 by Radio Shack

Anyone have any idea of a comp or even if there is any interest in early computer reference books ?

Thanks
Message 4420 of 4,794
latest reply

The 1984 & 1986 editions had no bids at $0.49: Tandy Manual (scroll down).
Message 4421 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks OB
This one is way different from those listed.
It is a tech manual with electrical schematics including some that fold out.
It is more for someone that works on programs this computer rather than an operators manual.

Probably still not worth anything or much.

You never know on early computer stuff.
Message 4422 of 4,794
latest reply

someone that works on programs

should have read
someone that works on or programs
Message 4423 of 4,794
latest reply

Ask
Message 4424 of 4,794
latest reply

I have a copy of Millions of Cats that I think is a 1st Ed. There is no dj.

Gold cover with black and red cover illustration. Plain spine. Endpapers illustrated in gold and red.

Title page has a b&w illustration and reads "Millions of Cats" on top of the illustration. Underneath are four lines:

By Wanda Gag
Published in New York by
Coward-McCann, Inc.
in the year 1928

On verso of title page at top are three lines:

Copyright 1928 by
Coward McCann , Inc.
All rights reserved.

On the bottom are two lines:

Printed in U.S.A.
By the Jersey City Printing Co.

Ist Ed. Or not?