Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

At present this thread is the top "Ask" thread in the group of "Helpful Topics" to the left of the screen.
Message 3751 of 4,794
latest reply

junesbasket - I could be mistaken, but I believe that the First Edition (published in simultaneity in London and New York in 1922) carried the date on both the English and American title leaves. It was originally published in 1921, in Harper's Weekly, I believe.
Message 3752 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast
Found the Seuss ABC thread - thanks.
Message 3753 of 4,794
latest reply

Thank you timeless_books for your reply. I really don't like to price a book on just 3 instances but I guess I can start high like you say and then lower. I'll try it on the River.
Message 3754 of 4,794
latest reply

junesbasket
Enthusiast
Im not sure both were dated and have not found any other copies available anywhere referencing 1923, 1924,1925 or 1926 specifically. Dont really know what to do with it. George H. Doran Company changed their name in 1927 so I can say at least the book dates before 1927 with certainty.
Message 3755 of 4,794
latest reply

According to Baumgarten, the first London edition has the date on the title page, and the first American edition has the date on the copyright page.

This is consistent with the Library of Congress catalogue entry, which shows the date of the American edition in brackets.
Message 3756 of 4,794
latest reply

emmas98
Enthusiast
I have a copy of The Conqueror by Gertrude Atherton.

On the title page, it has New York, The Macmillan Company
London: Macmillan & Co., LTD., 1902

I have seen several references to this book stating
"First state of the first edition with page numerals at the upper left corner of page 546"

So does mine but so does every other page (has numerals at the top corner). This is probably a stupid question but does that mean that later printings don't have 546 at the top left corner of the (last) page?
Ther are 4 pages of other Macmillan book ads after this.
Message 3757 of 4,794
latest reply

It's not a stupid question.

This is the full statement from Merle Johnson's American First Editions:

First state: p. 546, numeral in upper left corner; second state: numeral at bottom of page. Second printing, so marked, contains revisions. Regular edition is bound in maroon cloth, gilt and white decorations. Copies have been noted with no decorative stamping; a letter from the author sugests that such copies were bound for her personal use, but a reprint has been noted in the plain binding.
Message 3758 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast
Nine Days To Christmas by Marie Hall Ets –

I have a copy of this charming children’s book with the Caldecott medal on the jacket. It’s the third printing, 1960, which I’m sure places it in the ordinary category. However, it has a hand-written and signed personal note from the author to a child.

I’m just beginning to get into children’s books and I’m not familiar with Ms. Ets. Is this a desirable book?
(the book is in really great shape, the jacket has a tear and a couple of chips)
Message 3759 of 4,794
latest reply

Based on recent sales history, I'd guess $50 to $75.
Message 3760 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast
Sorry, I forgot to add that there are 65 copies on Abe, including some first printings, mostly ex lib, and other printings as well. So I know it's not rare, but seemingly in better condition than most.
Message 3761 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast
Thanks, midnightbooks. That helps a lot.
Message 3762 of 4,794
latest reply

So I know it's not rare, but seemingly in better condition than most.

It's the inscription/signature of a collectible author that carries most of the weight here, but condition of course helps.
Message 3763 of 4,794
latest reply

thereader
Enthusiast
The author may have known the child - it was a very sweet message.

I have another dilemma probably not so easily solved. I have a 1963 Dr. Seuss ABC that must be a 1st edition because the jacket is marked 195/195 and both spines have B-30 on them.

Prices on Abe are all over the place, as usual. What's confusing is that some copies without the B-30 are called First Editions. The problem is that I don't know whether they're really Firsts without the B-30, or does the book have to have that marking to be a First? If that's true, there really aren't so many First Editions listed there. (But they're in better condition.)

But on my copy, the cover's bottom corner is rubbed down to the board and there are a couple of scrapes and also the jacket has tears. I think I can only grade it Good. With these problems it may not even matter if it's a First.

Can anyone straighten me out on this? I have pics if it helps.
Message 3764 of 4,794
latest reply

emmas98
Enthusiast
oldbookshopnj

Thank you!
Message 3765 of 4,794
latest reply