satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Re: Ask any question about any book Part II

As I looked in detail at the above link, I found this

The speciman at top is from Glenn Cravath's own archive, and was accompanied by a copy of a July 17, 1933 letter he sent to publisher Grosset & Dunlap requesting one-half of his $100 fee. The other $50 was to be paid by RKO. Whether or not this version was ever actually printed and published is unknown.

Cravath was the DJ artist.

Who knows?
Message 3196 of 4,794
latest reply

hereandtherebooks
Enthusiast
Noir and satnrose, many thanks for the links.
Message 3197 of 4,794
latest reply

phyllo55
Enthusiast
What do you advise? I'm a rookie book seller and need to sell an autographed first edition,first print copy of Obama's Audacity of Hope. I do not have a COA. How and where do you get autographs authenticated? Anything anyone can add will be most appreciated.
Message 3198 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Put it up at the lowest price you would sell it for
and offer an unconditional guarantee.

!
Message 3199 of 4,794
latest reply

What does C-L mean on back of title page? Thanks.
Message 3200 of 4,794
latest reply

If it is a Harper's date code,
it indicates the month and year of publication.

If it is a Doubleday book or a book published by an imprint Doubleday owned, and it does not have a hyphen, it indicates that it was printed at Country Life press.
Message 3201 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks, much. Couldn't find that info anywhere!
Message 3202 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
You found it here.

The collective knowledge of the Booksellers Forum
is a wonderful resource:

don't hesitate to use it....

....despite all the barking!

Message 3203 of 4,794
latest reply

booksbyteresa
Enthusiast
> booksbyteresa: I believe your's is the 1955 reprint: http://lccn.loc.gov/54010951
>
>
> hereandtherebooks: I would think the "by by" issue is first,
> but I couldn't find anything on it
> other than in cornercube's guide: http://reviews.ebay.com/Grosset-amp-Dunlap-A-Beginners-Guide_W0QQugidZ10000000000019269

It is a 1958 Book (copywrite 1958). I tried your link and it took me to a "page load error".
Books Books and yes, more Books
Message 3204 of 4,794
latest reply

acuity4u
Enthusiast
PMLA Modern Language Association Volumes
I need some help with PMLA (Publications of the Modern Language Association of America) Bound volumes. The books are in library bindings, but no indication of library ownership.
There are 5 volumes: Volume 42 1927; Volume 43 1928; Volume 44 1929; Volume 45 1930; Volume 46 1931.
My understanding is that this is a fairly prestigious organization, still in operation, so there might be some interest from current professionals. The articles are so varied and numerous, it would be difficult to list them in an auction.
Condition is Good plus, covers a little worn, contents clean, spines well bound.
Any thoughts on offering as a set or individual? Opening price? Anyone experienced with selling early volumes of the PMLA especially welcome to comment.
Thanks
"Make sure to send me a postcard when you get there !"
Message 3205 of 4,794
latest reply

Played around some with the PMLA books on Abe. It appears that early volumes of this publication are available as print on demand paperbacks from the UK for about 30 bucks per volume. That might determine the upper limit on these to some extent.
Message 3206 of 4,794
latest reply

acuity4u
Enthusiast
these volumes are HUGE well over 1300 pages each, I'd find it unlikely anyone would print a complete copy for 30.00 (plus mail here from GB) ;-).
I searched ABE also and there are no Volumes from the 1920s. A volume is four issues of the magazine, plus Board meeting addresses, minutes, bylaws and membership directory.
"Make sure to send me a postcard when you get there !"
Message 3207 of 4,794
latest reply

O.T. for acuity

Where's your avatar.

You are so talented with graphics, etc.

Good to see you. Chris;-)

Message 3208 of 4,794
latest reply

ghostmist6
Enthusiast
Hello,

I have a book called Ora Maritima by Sonnenschein. It was published in 1928 by The MacMillan Company. I'm having difficulty pricing it. I've checked on Bookfinder and AddAll, but cannot find anything published later than 2007.

Can someone please help me price this book?

It is in good condition given its age. The cover has only minor wear and the binding is still very tight. It has a blue cover with a drawing of an old sailing boat on it. The cover also says Elementary Latin Classics.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Debi
Message 3209 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
I have nothing to add to what the professor told you:

professorbooknoodle (14)

Re: Help putting a value on books please?

Mar 21, 2009 12:14 AM

Sonnenschein was a classical scholar with high expertise in Latin, and a specialty, among others, in Plautus. He wrote a few books intended solely as school texts and the book you have, Ora Maritima, A Latin Story for Beginners was one such. The text came out in 1927, so you have a later printing. Even as a first there is only nominal value to the book ... as a reprint it has even less. He wrote an earlier text of a similar nature - an original story on his part geared to the beginning Latin pupil;. That was called Pro Patria, A Latin Story for Beginners. He also wrote other texts which were meant for more advanced students.

Message 3210 of 4,794
latest reply