Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

Ask any question about any book Part II

sessrymnir
Enthusiast
xcellency
some material which is perceived to be pro/anti religion and or government is banned in some countries. You cannot take Bibles to certain countries. You can't distribute Scientology material in some countries. You can't advocate disbanding authoritarian govt in countries that have authoritarian govts. Most people are completely ignorant of such censorship.
Message 2566 of 4,794
latest reply

I picked up a really nice UK first edition of Wilt by Tom Sharpe.

It's been kept in a mylar jacket, so the dj is VG--just a little denting on the bottom of the spine.

Anyway--I was researching value online, found a UK seller selling a UK first edition, first printing.

There's no month or indication of what printing it might be on the copyright page--does anyone know how to tell if my book is a first printing?

thanks!

Zoe
Message 2567 of 4,794
latest reply

I picked up a really nice UK first edition of Wilt by Tom Sharpe.

It's been kept in a mylar jacket, so the dj is VG--just a little denting on the bottom of the spine.

Anyway--I was researching value online, found a UK seller selling a UK first edition, first printing.

There's no month or indication of what printing it might be on the copyright page--does anyone know how to tell if my book is a first printing?

thanks!

Zoe
Message 2568 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Well, usually, if there is no statement of a later printing, then it's a first,

but show us a pic of the copyright page
Message 2569 of 4,794
latest reply

storybook_farm: Different publishers have different rules for specifying if a book is a first printing. So get a guide such as First Editions: A Guide to Identification by Edward N. Zempel and Linda A. Verkler. (if you look at the various help information on this forum, the preferred guides will be listed). From my old edition of this guide under Martin Secker & Warburg 1976 Statement (this is the publisher of Wilt which was first published in 1976):
"Our first editions, and indeed first printings, bear
First published in England 19.. by
Martin Secker & Warburg Limited
14 Charlisle Street, London W1V 6NN
"Second and further impressions add below:
Reprinted 19..
Reprinted 19..
"Occasionally older books carry the words 'Second impression 19..., but this convention is no longer followed.
"Re-issues are similarly treated...

While the vast majority of books will follow the rules listed, there are occasional exceptions. And children's books can follow different rules than adult books for a particular publisher.
--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 2570 of 4,794
latest reply

wrc633 There a couple possibilities for getting the 454th memories book: 1. Try the publisher:
454TH BOMBARDMENT GROUP ASSOCIATION INC
PO BOX 678
WHEAT RIDGE, CO 80034-0678
2. There are apparently two libraries which have copies of 454th memories, the ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY in Indiana and the PUBLIC LIBRARY OF CINCINNATI/HAMILTON COUNTY. By contacting your local library you may be able to get a copy on interlibrary loan. Then photocopy the book and have it bound.
--
Jonathan Grobe
Message 2571 of 4,794
latest reply

regarding Wilt--

Jonathan--

First published in England 19.. by
Martin Secker & Warburg Limited
14 Charlisle Street, London W1V 6NN

this is what is on the copyright page of my copy.

I appreciate you taking the time to look this up for me--many thanks!

Zoe
Message 2572 of 4,794
latest reply

I have German book from 1931, it is an illustrated medical book written by a Jewish German plastic surgeon, Jacques Joseph. There is an article about him on Wiki and I see one original copy of this book on Abe. I see several copies of this book in libraries on Worldcat. There are some blue marks on the upper right hand corners to the 2 sections of the book - I am wondering if these may be initials of the author? What do you think? I have googled to try and find an example of his signature, but, no luck.

Also, one of the sections is stamped with a doctor's name (Dr. Dorf Simons), I looked him up and found an article about him – he was a Jewish immigrant to the US during WWII, he may have brought the book with him. Possibly these are his initials? How can I find out if these are the author's initials? Or, I guess a better question is, would it be worth my time to do further research on the initials before I post this? The initials are on the upper right hand corner of the photos below, in blue thicker writing. Thanks for feedback. (PS, I did check the author signature website, but his name is not listed.)Photobucket Photobucket
Message 2573 of 4,794
latest reply

Bigger picture...
Photobucket
Message 2574 of 4,794
latest reply

jmgrobe...Thanks for the address. I 'did' look into worldcat.org after getting the reply from satnrose yesterday. And I emailed one of the libraries to see if
they could possibly loan the book to our library. If I
don't hear from them in a few days, I may just take the
contact info for both libraries to 'our' library and see if they will try to get it on loan.

I think it's a 'reference' book...so he would probably
have to go to our library to read it. But he just lives
rigth down the street from our library so that would
be no problem.
Thanks for the input. We have searched for over a year
for these 2 books and found absolutely nothing. It's so
nice to have these forums where you can come and ask
a question and have people respond that actually 'know'
something. 🙂 thanks again, katy
Message 2575 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
bonnyrose7: I see the blue as "Att"

as in, pay "attention"
Message 2576 of 4,794
latest reply

Aha! I see it now. Mystery solved...thank you kindly Satnrose.
Message 2577 of 4,794
latest reply

Another "what's it worth" question 😉

Does anyone have a handle on the value of the Al Jaffee box set produced by Signet titled The Cool, Calm, Collected Al Jaffee (4 books). Apparently it is quite rare uncommon. I haven't found any current or past values. If it's worth something I'll post to the book that looks like nothing thread
Message 2578 of 4,794
latest reply

What's my question? Are these two people of any significance? How do I found out which Evelyn Hill?

Title page with gilt Ilumination as on cover:
Giuietta and Romeo
A story from the original Italian of Luigi da Porto of Vicenza illustrated with pictures painted in Italy by the translator: : : : Jessie Benton Evans

Portland Maine
The Mosher Press
MDCCCCXXXIV

copyright page: 1934 by Jessie Benton Evans

Title page with no illumination (same info)
Dedication page

Frontispiece plate and some others are in color, others are b&w. These aren't tipped in, they appear to be sewn in with small strip folded opposite side.
Cover:

Gift inscription on FFE:
Message 2579 of 4,794
latest reply

Yikes! It showed it wasn't loading. Three times--very sorry.
Message 2580 of 4,794
latest reply