Ask any question about any book Part II

satnrose
Guide
Ask
Message 1 of 4,794
latest reply
4,793 REPLIES 4,793

You know what I am not going to worry about it. It is just a book to read, nothing I am going to make hundreds of dollars on. I just get worried I am going to do something wrong.... If I do I do. Thanks
Message 1141 of 4,794
latest reply

Actually I worded that wrong: I love books they are not just books, This one is someone's life laying out there on a bunch of pages. Anyway please be kind I am just learning, many things. One is that I will probably never touch a book worth a LOT of money. Anyway I will shut up now.
Message 1142 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
caitmeg10 : I'm surprised.

I guess you'll have to sell it here.
Message 1143 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose:

They have a minimum book value of $1,000. Although they didn't say why they weren't interested, I'm assuming that they don't think it meets that value requirement.

Can you recommend another seller? What about those that they recommended or I'm just better off on my own?
Message 1144 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
Better off on your own.

Make sure you get the word "Samoa" in the Item Title.

"Rare book on SAMOA history" oughta work.

Make sure you use a high minimum or high reserve.

If twere mine, I'd list it for $499.99.

Mind you, that's not what I think the book is worth,
but simply how I would roll the dice.

eBay is a crapshoot . .
Message 1145 of 4,794
latest reply

Thanks! Crapshoot is right! I've been staying lately as it just so unpredictable here. Maybe I'll give it a whirl next week and list it.
Message 1146 of 4,794
latest reply

I know this isn't exactly on topic but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

As a fairly new bookseller (just about 2 years) I am looking for advice on what reference books you all find invaluable.

I own no reference guides on older books but feel that I need to increase my knowledge and expand my business in that direction.

Thanks!!
Message 1147 of 4,794
latest reply

megabella_treasures - This should answer the question.
Message 1148 of 4,794
latest reply

Perfect!! Thank you very much!

I tried going through the board but I didn't know what specifically I was looking for so I didn't have much luck.
Message 1149 of 4,794
latest reply

megabella_treasures - just remember before you begin buying references that a great many of the standard bibliographies are now available through Google Books, and if you know the name or author of the bib, it's usually pretty easy to find.
Message 1150 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
megabella_treasures : IMPO:

COLLECTED BOOKS by Patricia and Allen Ahearn should be your first purchase.
Message 1151 of 4,794
latest reply

Hi all! I'm confused again! LOL No surprise there!
I have this book...
Cordon Bleu Cook Book
by: Dione Lucas
drawings: Phoebe Nicol
Pub: Little, Brown & Co, Boston
"Copyright 1947, By Dione Lucas"
(further down this page is a "W")
8-1/4" x 5-1/2"
322pp
HB/DJ - Grey/Brown Cloth w/Red & Blue Lettering & Pictorial(front, back & spine)
Question: Trying to confirm what Edition/Printing I have. Does the "W" mean something I'm not aware of?

In searching AbeBooks, there are many that fit the description of mine, HOWEVER, most of them have the size bigger (but still with 1947 copyright?). Some say first, some don't.

Can one of you smart folks help a girl out? 😛
Message 1152 of 4,794
latest reply

satnrose
Guide
W = book club

There may or may not be a book club imprint on the book:

look on the back cover of the book itself
at the lower right hand corner
to see if there is an impression
in the shape of a dot or circle or square or mapleleaf.

If so: book club.

If not: the "W" still means it's a book club.
Message 1153 of 4,794
latest reply

I would appreciate help on determining a fair price for this book. There is only one listed that I can find on Addall, Library of Congress, none on World Cat. Please let me know where else I can look! I do not like to price a book with only one slightly similar for an example. Thank you for your time!
I always enjoy learning from others. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, it is much appreciated!

ROUND ROBIN by Abbie Farwell Brown. E.P. Dutton & Co. Third printing, 1927. Frontispiece-colored. Illustrations. Tight, very clean. Ex-lib with stamp on title page and remains of card holder inside the back hinge. Back blank endpage is torn but not missing. Pages and text are not worn, torn, no tape. Covers and spine are faded, a few light spots and are slightly scuffed but solid with corners lightly bumped.
Message 1154 of 4,794
latest reply

There IS a depressed red dot on back.
Thanks satnrose!
Message 1155 of 4,794
latest reply