There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

A book that looks like nothing.

indexerkevin
Enthusiast
Dennis, you da Man! That's enough food for a lot of thoughts there!
Message 706 of 1,978
latest reply

Dennis, I know that was a lot of work, I started to do it once. Thanks, man! List in hand, a-scouting I go.
Message 707 of 1,978
latest reply

Barry Manilow?

I saw The Machinery Handbook in the FOL pre-sale pictures posted earlier, but I'm about 20 road hours from Palo Alto...
Message 708 of 1,978
latest reply

iainsdad
Enthusiast
Aspects of the Tain, editor J P Mallory isbn 0951706829

Sold quickly on the river and now relisted by buyer at 2 X purchase price.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing in the river looking like an idiot!
I, alas, fall into the latter category!

----------------------------------------------------
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. - Chuck Clark
Message 709 of 1,978
latest reply

donaldrshaw
Enthusiast
dependabledennis; Thank you for taking the time to help those of us too lazy, or too busy, to have accomplished this project! As for myself, I knew this should have been done...Now, I offer my sincere thanks for your efforts. I feel sure I speak for many others on this board when I say it will not have been in vain.

Don
Message 710 of 1,978
latest reply

dorsetrarebooks
Enthusiast
Recent scouting and some decent prices on ebay lead me to post the following:

Ronald Knight - T E Lawrence, the Medals, Decorations and Orders: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-E-Lawrence-MEDALS-Orders-Decorations-RARE-1st_W0QQitemZ6971519026

Ronald Welch - All books by - esp hardbacks in nice condition, reprints don't matter. 1sts in wrappers = v.nice

I've had good luck with all 1920s books with 'Relativity' in the title, esp those written by Einstein obviously.

Oh - and thanks again for that index!
Message 711 of 1,978
latest reply

Try again

The Turkey Hunter's Bible
Heeeere lizard, lizard, lizard.
Message 713 of 1,978
latest reply

birdsong56
Enthusiast
The Regency Companion - Laudermilk & Hamlin

Black cloth, no dj as issued. A rather worn ex-library copy even did well for me.

Some other titles in the Garland Reference Library of the Humanities also seem worth looking for.
Message 714 of 1,978
latest reply

samanthajiles
Enthusiast
So, what about Children's books published in the UK? Does anyone here have any idea what those are worth here?
I know a few English folks I have spoke with have told me that a couple of the ones I have are worth a lot over there. One was the most popular character of the century in the UK and even had BBC programs made from the stories.
Being popular in the UK... Does that increase the value here in the US on a book that most Americans may have never heard of..?

Just curious... Any thoughts would be great...

Sam and Sam
Message 715 of 1,978
latest reply

samanthajiles
Enthusiast
On the reverse of the "Oh my God I passed that up" list, I was at an Auction House that was closing down for good. All the dealers were scrambling to get their wares out. This guy was tossing boxes of books into the large pile of things for the city to cart away to the landfill.

I said, "Hey man, you just gonna toss those old books?" he said, "I'm dealing in REAL goods and REAL antiques, I can make $100 in REAL antiques in the space that these 5 boxes of junk books take up. You want them? Take them all."

I did. The first 2 in the first box I came across were, "Don Sturdy at Glacier Bay" and "Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Gods Of Mars" Both in original Dust Jackets and in Good condition.

To date, I have made $320 bucks on just the first Box he tossed... I really hope he got his $100 buck off that antique Chamber Pot he needed room for........

Sometimes when we pass up a good one... Someone else, like me, jumps in and gets it...
Don't worry, I passed on a 1801 first edition History of England because I thought it was areprint. It was cloth... The next week I had a Law proffesor ask me if I had been to Goodwill lately... Said he bought the book I saw for 1 dollar... Sold it Right here on ebay for $250 to a British Proffesor.

What comes around Goes around folks.. Just keep the eyes peeled....

Sam and Sam
Message 716 of 1,978
latest reply

Your Magic Power to Persuade and Command People by Vernon Howard.

Almost put this in my B&M for $8.99 but decided to see if it was still in print... well it's not, and used copies seem to go for $100+ on fixed sites! (any edition). Don't know what it fetches on Ebay, as none show up on either eBay active or completed listings.
Message 717 of 1,978
latest reply

Sam and Sam: Your story just serves to reinforce my motto... "Save everything."
Message 718 of 1,978
latest reply

samanthajiles
Enthusiast
the_book_elf: That has always been my motto... But I am running out of room in my house now.. Going to have to either get rid of some of it, or GET A BIGGER HOUSE. I really don't want to do either.

I do sell some of these books. They are taking up the entire basement and 2 rooms upstairs now. I think I found out what they mean by "too much of a good thing."

The plus is, I never have a problem finding something to read, and I don't have to go to the Library.... Ever...

Cheers!

Sam and Sam
Message 719 of 1,978
latest reply

satnrose
Guide