There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

A book that looks like nothing.

birdsong56
Enthusiast
Mayray, there are a few. Search current auctions for Suzanne Brockmann, Ladies Man. It's just a little old Loveswept romance paperback.

Search completed auctions in the romance category by highest priced for others.

Here's a site that helped me out as far as collectible paperback romances:
http://www.madcatscreations.com/two/index.html

You do have to watch out for reprints, though. I found a nice copy of MacKenzie's Mountain a while back, only to find that it had been reprinted a few months before.

I've also had some good luck with Patricia Veryan and Sherrilyn Kenyon.
Message 631 of 1,978
latest reply

pbpier
Enthusiast
just picked a copy of this up at a yard sale for $.50 today, took a chance, and then saw this listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2228&item=6957484187&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Message 632 of 1,978
latest reply

time_trapper
Enthusiast
Littlewindandsea: It was purchased at an auction in a box lot - Basically paid for the whole auction.

I've sold a number of books that I thought twice about keeping; but we have downsized to a condo and whatever comes has to go out - one way or the other.
Message 633 of 1,978
latest reply

found this today

The Secret Man - Frank Dux

http://www.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=dux&title=secret+man&keyword=&isbn=0870441310&order=TITLE&ordering=ASC&dispCurr=USD&binding=Any+Binding&min=&max=&timeout=20&match=Y&StoreAbebooks=on&StoreAlibris=on&StoreAntiqbook=on&StoreBiblio=on&StoreBiblion=on&StoreBibliophile=on&StoreBibliopoly=on&StoreBooksandcollectibles=on&StoreHalf=on&StoreILAB=on&StoreMaremagnum=on&StorePowells=on&StoreStrandbooks=on&StoreZVAB=on
Message 634 of 1,978
latest reply

scollar
Enthusiast
Finally after a lot of lurking here I have a small something to add, and I'm pretty tickled with it too because four -- FOUR -- highly experienced bookmen passed it up! It was a little box of 24 Tarzan paperbacks all very obviously used altho with everything intact. I bought the 24 for $5 and just sold them on eBay for $102.50. Just goes to show you...
Message 635 of 1,978
latest reply

auberry44
Enthusiast
Sellers might want to keep an eye out for cookbooks by Matt Martinez. I bought one for 50 cents, and sold it on the River for thirty dollars in four days. Can't imagine why.
Message 636 of 1,978
latest reply

also, southern living cookbooks seem to bring a nice sum, but good luck finding them cheap
Message 637 of 1,978
latest reply

skipper204
Scout
Southern Living Cookbooks????? I've got them coming out of my ears!

Any particular years? Singly or in lots?
Message 638 of 1,978
latest reply

Try a search for some of your titles, I'm not sure they're all hot, but they aren't sold in stores so that makes them harder to find. I saw the one I picked up going for as much as $31, not bad for a cookbook.
Message 639 of 1,978
latest reply

teamwinfan
Enthusiast
littlewindansea,

Thanks for the great tip on Southern Living Cookbooks. I would have never picked one of these up in a million years, now I'll keep my eyes open for 'em!
Message 640 of 1,978
latest reply

I did a little more research on the SL cookbooks, and it does depend on which title you have, many are common and don't sell, but many do and for $12-36 ea. If you find 'em at yard sales for a dollar, pick 'em up, the ones that don't sell individually can be sold later in lots. To be honest, however, I go to 40+ sales/week and rarely see them, but often cookbooks are grouped and I didn't even scan them. Now I will. I supose it pays to see what other cookbooks sell well, because they're typically not considered valuable at yard sales and go for as little as 25c
Message 641 of 1,978
latest reply

halasz0
Enthusiast
Hi All

Is this a Nothing book? The Great Leaders and National Issues of 1896. It is, for the lack of a better expression, the Prospectus Edition. A Pink slip bound with the pages titled "This Prospectus" indicating "these are sample pages of the 1st Printing which will be printed after the Conventions July 17, 1896"

Any help appreciated.

halasz0
Message 642 of 1,978
latest reply

So I finally got around to organizing some books my aunt gave me last year... I'm checking the titles at Addall and I punched in a book entitled "The Washingtons and Their Homes," by John W. Wayland and up pops two copies. One is a 1st edition and the other is like mine--a 1973 reprint by the Virginia Book Company... both are listed at $1,000. Mine is in nearly pristine condition, with just some minor wear on the dust jacket. Amazon also shows one for sale at $2,400. Yikes... yippie
"Turn up the music, my heart feels like an alligator." - Hunter S. Thompson
Message 643 of 1,978
latest reply

the_book_shop
Enthusiast
Message 644 of 1,978
latest reply

How I Turned $1000 into Five Million in Real Estate by William Nickerson

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
-Sam Phillips