cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bead necklace help please

Hi all and good day to you. I found this funky bead necklace, and am curious about the age and what they may be made of. The beads are oval egg shaped but they split apart. I have searched but no luck so far. Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: bead necklace help please

These look to me like carved Czech Bakelite beads from the 1930's (Deco era).  The colors, use of wood spacers and barrel clasp look right for that era.  These are more elaborate beads than some because of the central insets and the fitted sides.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I think the carved ones may be bone and the little light ones are wood. They sure are pretty and very intricately carved. Not sure of the age. 

bone ivory wood necklace.jpg

photo c0aee6c4-b992-4827-ae05-e33ad59c80ce_zpscc7c71c6.jpg
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Well I have spent all morning withthese things. The larger ones are glass seperated by metal and the other hollow ones are still a mystery. I tried semichrome and got no color and a headache from the smell test which resuled in the round table decision of "they smell old" but not live a chem lab or vicks. They have a very uniform grain swirl to them. They sound plastic like.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks all for the help. I set them to auction and we will see if they draw some attention.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply