cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the number for on the left butt of this barbie

Hello. I have Midge doll i believe but the markings on the back don't say Midge.

It has a number 11 on left butt and i know there are scratches from something inside the leg that has gone over the mark but it reads Barbie with a r in circle, Pat Pend , copyright symbol Mattel, by Mattel. 

Was Midge made before she was marked, and what is the 11 for on her left butt. She has a hard body, non bendable.IMG_20230129_190604.jpgIMG_20230129_190705~2.jpgIMG_20230129_190742~2.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

EDIT.... the mark doesnt say Mattel by Mattel...its a copyright mark, then a roman numeral number, i can read M something M then VIII, the scatches are on the mark, then it says Mattel underneath....sorry for the confusion, had to use my loupe to read as my eyes are horrible.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Your doll is not a Midge. She's a Fashion Queen Barbie on an earlier Barbie body. The Fashion Queen came with three wigs. Either the head was one of the ones that came in a set with only the head and wigs, or at some time the head was swapped onto an earlier body. The correct body for the Fashion Queen would be marked both Barbie and Midge on the butt. Your doll is missing her blue hairband.

The number on the left butt is a mold number and was used for quality control. It has no meaning in dating a doll.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I would also add that you should remove the doll's earrings immediately. The original earrings can cause green ear, which is an oxidation caused by the reaction of the base metal in the earring and the plasticizer in the vinyl.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I'm not an expert but to me this looks like an original Barbie the brunette one and I think the Roman numerals say 1958 Midge doesn't look like this

Message 5 of 5
latest reply