cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Side part Barbie going to sell her but her legs are bent slightly hyper extended

Hello, I came across a Side Part Barbie and want to sell her she has a spot of ink on her face.  

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Side part Barbie going to sell her but her legs are bent slightly hyper extended

Sorry it posted my picture before I finished commenting. I wanted to know if I should try to fix her legs and clean them? Or the ink spot on her face. And how. Thank you
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

You have a brunette American Girl Barbie, very desirable with collectors. The legs should bend right back.

I would not try to remove the inkspot, let the buyer take care of it. 

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Thank you Janice I know collectors need to know information to bid/pay accordingly.  I will leave the tiny spot that appears to be ink.  So I should try to bend the legs at knees myself?  One leg is tight and I havent tried to move it with too much pressure.  the other leg moves freely.  They are a bit dirty should I clean them and if yes with what?  How do I determine the value on this particular doll?  (Her suit is dirty and i have seen they sell quite reasonably for the suit alone)  her hair seems nice I don't know history to know if she has had anything done to her.     Thanks again

@janice5666 wrote:

You have a brunette American Girl Barbie, very desirable with collectors. The legs should bend right back.

@janice5666 wrote:

IMG_0697.jpgHe

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

She's not a sidepart AG, though, so don't put that in your listing.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Hi latiara, yes, bend the knees back into a straight position.  Don't bend them forward again, that can damage the knee mechanism. 

Buyers will want to know how many clicks - bent knee positions - each leg will hold on its own.  There should be three positions.  Bend each knee back one at a time until it clicks; let go to see if it holds itself in that position; bend again until the second click and let it hold, and then the third and hold.

If you're unfamiliar with cleaning vintage Barbie dolls and clothing, it's best not to do any cleaning yourself, let the buyer do that.  It's very easy to accidentally rub off face paint and nail polish, or ruin the hair and clothing.  That would have a negative effect on value, far more than leaving the doll in the normal dirty condition that played-with dolls are usually found in.  Just post clear photos, and disclose and describe the condition.

I agree with Mary, not a sidepart.

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Thank you all for your input.  What Barbie is she?  

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Here is a picture from top of her head.  I was able to easily get the knees to normal spot.  Thank you

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Hi ~ Janice gave you the right ID.  She's a brunette American Girl Barbie, just not a sidepart American Girl Barbie.

Here's more info about the AG and her marking:

http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Vintage-American-Girl-Barbie-Doll.html

http://dollreference.com/barbie2.html

tree*fern

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

So confusing her hair is definetly parted on the side.   I have seen the links I guess I am not seeing the difference.  Thank you again 😉

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

IMG_0691.jpg

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

On your doll it's just the way the hair was combed or played with.

A side part isn't just a part combed into or separated in the hair. The part is thatched when made at the factory, each strand over another.

tree*fern

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

OK, since all the letters in the marking are raised, your doll is from late 1966.

tree*fern

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Would love to see a close up photo of the part to understand thatched.  Thanks

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Asked my daughter to hold doll so I could take a picture of the part.  

Message 15 of 32
latest reply