cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Psychology of collecting

Everyone collects something.. why do we collect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_collecting

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Psychology of collecting

Great article! I like the reference to "happy" collecting. That's how my Barbie's make me feel!
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Psychology of collecting

so my dark side was telling me: collect collect! as soon as I was born Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Psychology of collecting

Hi,  I'm new here......I'm a collector of anything collectible!  Mostly dolls and in particular Barbie.   The psychology of collecting dolls for women is (sorry men, love ya anyway) that it brings out the little girl in us.  Back to a time of innocent play and boundless imagination.  I'm one of those that take my Barbie's out of the box to display and play with.  Thankfully I have two granddaughters that share my enthusiasm, which was something my son has never till this day understood.  He's wonderful, don't get me wrong, and I really wanted a boy when I was carrying him, but I feel like him and I missed out on so much together.  Now I make up for it with his kids.  I've started each girl on her own collection of cartoon and Hello Kitty dolls.  Thanks for having me here!

Margaret 😉

Margaret 😉

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hulahan/
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Psychology of collecting

I used to think collecting dolls for women was more like the case of men playing video games: we "go" inside the character, for instance, we do not say: hey my avatar did shot, we say I did shot. so is more like a transfer of actions.Besides, the part of showing off our skills and make sure the other players know we are so "cool" 🙂 

In the other hand, I enter the world of dolls because my own eBay listings led me to it. One day I found a doll and I said, well, I am listing her, another day I did not know the name of a doll and I began to read blogs so I started to know the name of  popular dolls, and suddenly I knew who was Barbie, Draculaura and what it was an Iplehouse! on another occasion my sister was watching TV shows on the web and it appeared the image of a doll, without thinking twice, I did shout: look,it is Toraley!

Now they think i am weird lol just kidding!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Psychology of collecting

I didn't particularly like dolls growing up. I can remember operating on them, then sewing them up.

No, I didn't torture dogs or anything( lol ) but why I fell in love with them I don't know. I think I

just accidentally got involved with them. I was buying an antique corner cubbard and there was an

Alexander doll in a long formal dress beside it and I bought her. Then I found out what she was worth and it

just snowballed from there. Then of course I loved buying them for my two daughters.

This happened before computers were in homes and I had never heard of Ebay. At another auction

they had a doll I really liked and my Mother told me to bid,  so I did. Turns out it was an A.M. bisque, a

really good one, closed mouth, baby, and so many collectors tried to get me to sell him to them but

I wouldn't.  But that just lead to many other things related to dolls. I don't normally do the Barbies

but I have lucked into a few of them, mostly vintage clothes. (I bought a large Barbie house that I

have no use far but just couldn't resist..I am still trying to open it without breaking the plastic.

My problem is I mostly buy what I like, then don't want to sell them. I have a very small aptf and 

right now I have a table full of the ones I don't have room for. I hate to see them packed away where 

no one can enjoy them.Most of mine are right out for anyone to see.

Kind of like having a pet I quess.

I always hate to see them in a fence. Seems like they should be in the house as part of your family.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Psychology of collecting

Armand Marseille dolls are very antique right? I think they come from Germany, recently I was in a row at a bank and they have a big plasma tv (they put those tv so everyone watch and they can record your face lol) anyway showing the history and evolution of the dolls and they were talking about very antique dolls made of wood and they say there were collectors that even did a big row (just like me at the bank lol) to purchase those dolls, then came other dolls made of porcelain and even Thomas Alva edison (the guy who invented the light bulb) did make a talking doll, but this was so novel that all the girls were frightened and crying while listening!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Psychology of collecting

I totally agree on the bringing out the little girl in us...I have been selling off all of my Barbie stuff from when I was a child in the 1980s..I have so much fun dressing the dolls and taking pictures..it's like playing Barbies again..only at 38...hehe...and I actually get a little emotional sometimes when I sell something that I have really good memories of.... Part of me wants to keep it..but I collect too much stuff! Particularly Pug stuff.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply