cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Ebay forcing me to accept a return (and pay for the shipping) because buyer doesnt like item.

Hello, i am a new seller this year, opened a store after a few months and only sell a few items a day but one of them are handmade artesinal colombian bags. I have sold dozens of these and gotten 100% positive reviews on them. 

This weekend i received an email from ebay stating a recent buyer of one of these bags submitted a return request under the "ebay 100% guarantee" for buyers. I do not accept returns unless it was broken, defective  or something similar.  The buyer stated to ebay that the item they received did not match the photo or description, they put in a single word as the comment: "tiny".

I have sold 3 types of bags on the store, small medium and large, i have listed the exact dimensions of each bag as well because those descriptions can be relative, lastly in each listing i post a photo of the bag with a 12" ruler just for scale. So naturally i want to contest the return because i work on slim margins on these bags and paying to return a used bag would make me lose money. I sent ebay an email asking them to deny the return request because the item i sent was the one exactly from the photos, and i had listed the exact dimensions in the listing... they resonded with this:

"

Hello Michael,

My name is Jayson your eBay customer support for today. I do appreciate the effort contacting us today with regards to your concern. Rest assured we are going to resolve your issue as fast and simple as possible.

I completely understand how unhappy you are with this transaction that did not go through smoothly as expected and I am sorry about what happened. I know you sent this item in a very good condition and listed it in your listing accurately. Upon carefully reviewing the claim here in our system, I see here that the claim was already under process and the reason for return in not as described which the system requires the seller to provide a shipping label.

Now, once you already have the item back on your hand you just have to let us know first and do not process the refund yet. You actually have given 2 business days to investigate to the item that was returned back to you, so if it is no longer in the same condition from the moment you send it, then that is a fraudulent return. We also just want to make sure that the item will be returned back to you. If that happens you will have the option to partially refund the buyer for not respecting your time and misusing our platform.

Once the buyer is proven that they are misusing our platform we are going to make sure that they will have you face certain conditions of eBay from what they have done.

Aside from that at the end of the day the case will be closed in your favor, we just have to follow the proper procedures. Thank you for your great consideration.

Thank you for being the best part of eBay.

Sincerely,

Jayson P.

eBay customer support"

Ebay basically said i was right, but i still have to pay for a return anyway!? and now ill have to sell the bag as "used" losing money all around. I am asking you the community what i should do? am i wrong? should i accept the return? i dont want to because these are handmade cloth bags and it would be returning a piece of clothing someone was sent and tried... i am not a huge store where i can absorb these returns easily, this is making me not want to list any of these bags on ebay in the future. Thanks for reading.

-Mike C

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Why is Ebay forcing me to accept a return (and pay for the shipping) because buyer doesnt like item.

@stellargod5   

This is how the eBay MBG works>>>

If the buyer files a refund request saying that the item is not as described then you need to accept the return and issue the return shipping label.    

The eBay Money Back Guarantee overrules your returns policy.   Your return policy only applies if the buyer files a buyer's remorse return:  Doesn't fit, changed mind, etc.  

If you do not accept the return willingly then the buyer can ask eBay to step in and forces a refund. You do not get your seller's fees back, you get a defect and the buyer may be allowed to keep the item.

If the buyer abuses the eBay MBG in some way then you can report them after the item is returned but it doesn't get your money back:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=12&pos=3&quer...

Sellers have protection for return abuse if they offer FREE RETURN shipping on their listings OR if they are a Top Rated seller and offer 30 days or greater returns.  The seller can then reduce the refund amount by up to 50% if the buyer sends a different item or somehow reduces the value of the item.

Seller protection: 
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345&st=12&pos=4&query=Sel...

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Hi @stellargod5 

At this point . .. your ONLY option is to accept the return AND provide a prepaid shipping label.

If you don’t … then eBay will refund the buyer with your money and let them keep the item.   You’ll also receive a defect and forfeit your fees.  I’m sorry … but accepting returns when a buyer claims an item is ‘not as described’ is part of doing business.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply