cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do when an eBay Standard Shipping label update is late and buyer is complaining?

More often than I would like, the eBay Standard Shipping service tracking does not update, is late / in limbo, and buyer is complaining. 

I've had scenarios where the package arrives way late, and also scenarios where it doesn't arrive at all. Once, it came back to me, but that was once out of at least a dozen since I started using this service. Another possibility is that it simply arrives and the tracking never updates. I've had that happen based on positive feedback on several items that have had tracking never update after drop off. I've also dropped things off that never got scanned, and they won't scan it at the USPS even if you ask, for some technical reason exclusive to the standard shipping service. 

The problem I have is that if I refund too soon, and the package arrives late, the insurance denies the refund because the tracking shows it arrived, even if it was three weeks late and the buyer got their refund because they opened a case against me.

If I tell them to wait, there is also the chance it just doesn't arrive and the customer becomes more agitated.

Another scenario is that I send a replacement and bite the bullet, but at that point I'm cutting into the savings I was getting by using the standard shipping service, and losing money for the sake of keeping my perfect rating.

Please help me in managing this nerve wrecking scenario. I want to do the right thing but the lack of tracking reliability makes it too hard for me to pinpoint a good solution 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What do you do when an eBay Standard Shipping label update is late and buyer is complaining?

So I googled that firstclass and priority mail should update within 3 days and everything else should update in 2 weeks.

I let the buyer know to wait 2 weeks and if it doesn't update they could ask me for a refund.

To sellers with this problem, I recommend trying to send a replacement if possible, but a refund works best so they could buy whatever it is they want again and start the process once more. You can also have a starting point for a claim if it applies and using the two week thing. If it arrives and updates late, then I guess it's another complexity in the system we just can't get around and hope for the best every time.

If it's really important obviously charge for more reliable shipping methods. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: What do you do when an eBay Standard Shipping label update is late and buyer is complaining?

@spacechakra 

Do video game stickers qualify for the Standard Envelope?

Have a great day
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

So I googled that firstclass and priority mail should update within 3 days and everything else should update in 2 weeks.

I let the buyer know to wait 2 weeks and if it doesn't update they could ask me for a refund.

To sellers with this problem, I recommend trying to send a replacement if possible, but a refund works best so they could buy whatever it is they want again and start the process once more. You can also have a starting point for a claim if it applies and using the two week thing. If it arrives and updates late, then I guess it's another complexity in the system we just can't get around and hope for the best every time.

If it's really important obviously charge for more reliable shipping methods. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply