cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller somehow sent to alternate shipping address

Hello. I recently purchased an item and it was shipped to a different address than the shipping address in the order details.

I had to request an invoice which included shipping costs before paying as there was no $ specified  for my location. (I asked the seller prior to bidding if they would ship to me and they said yes).

The shipping address on both the invoice request and the address used when paying/checking out were the same, but the seller shipped to an entirely different address.

I have a few addresses in my account so it was one of them and I did receive the item, I'm just confused how this could happen.

How would the seller even see my other addresses? I didnt realize sellers could see alternate addresses, let alone ship to them. 

Maybe this is some weird glitch, and I'm waiting for an ebay callback, but curious if this has ever happened to anyone else.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Seller somehow sent to alternate shipping address

@bethel2405 wrote:

I actually ended up getting Ebay to call me. Sent a message to the seller too but didnt hear back.

The ebay rep was able to see that the address on the shipping label sent to the seller was different from the one that was on both the invoice request and the order confirmation I received (which was what I used when paying/checking out), but didnt really know why.

They just said it was likely a technical glitch that had been happening and would report it to the shipping department to look into. 

Probably wont order for a while until it is fixed, although not sure how I will know. There was no indication anywhere in my account that a different address had been used/sent to the seller. Nor would the seller know they got the wrong address, unless they tried to match the original invoice request address to the eventual shipping label they recieved, but cant see why they would even think to look.

Weird. First time this has happened to me in almost 15 years on Ebay. 

Hi @bethel2405! This is a strange one as @ferncliff-39 is right, sellers can only see the shipping info provided from checkout. I did a little research however, and I did find an issue some are experiencing where the old registered address was provided as the shipping address. Is the address it was shipped to your old registered address? If so, that is the ticket the teammate you spoke with was probably referring to. If not, please let me know and I'll see about getting a new ticket started. 

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@bethel2405 

The seller doesn't have any means to 'see' your other addresses - the label addressing is all automated based on the payment at checkout. That's how it's supposed to work.

velvet@ebay  - any ideas on this one, as I see you're out on the boards today.

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I actually ended up getting Ebay to call me. Sent a message to the seller too but didnt hear back.

The ebay rep was able to see that the address on the shipping label sent to the seller was different from the one that was on both the invoice request and the order confirmation I received (which was what I used when paying/checking out), but didnt really know why.

They just said it was likely a technical glitch that had been happening and would report it to the shipping department to look into. 

Probably wont order for a while until it is fixed, although not sure how I will know. There was no indication anywhere in my account that a different address had been used/sent to the seller. Nor would the seller know they got the wrong address, unless they tried to match the original invoice request address to the eventual shipping label they recieved, but cant see why they would even think to look.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@bethel2405 wrote:

Hi @bethel2405! This is a strange one as @ferncliff-39 is right, sellers can only see the shipping info provided from checkout. I did a little research however, and I did find an issue some are experiencing where the old registered address was provided as the shipping address. Is the address it was shipped to your old registered address? If so, that is the ticket the teammate you spoke with was probably referring to. If not, please let me know and I'll see about getting a new ticket started. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

This was a long time ago now but for some reason missed your response at the time.

Just wanted to say thanks and you were right that they had used an old registered address instead of the current one.

Seems to be fine now as I've ordered a bunch since and things were delivered to the right place. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply