cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search results

I've come to community to seek answers concerning misleading or useless search results in the past. There is another very odd issue with results. It's been around for a while now. This is an example of the problem. I was searching for Lana Del Ray albums using advance search. I typed in Lana Del Ray, selected music and then CD. the only other conditions were from the US and lowest price first.

There were six results with prices ranging from 17.99 to 43.99 with one 22.00 after the the highest priced album. None said "sponsored" so the 22 dollar one should not have been last. But that's not the real problem because right after the six there's a message saying "results using fewer words" with over a hundred Lana Del Ray CDs before starting an international list. The CDs were not lowest price; there were  some over 200.00 mixed in with some around 8.00. It was jumble of random prices.

I not did change the original request in anyway so how can there be "fewer words" bringing true results although in the the wrong order?  I've used  eBay to help out someone who did not use computers over a decade ago and for years now I've uses it for myself. I've easily made many thousands of searches and purchases combined with my own and helping out.  Something is off with search. In the past if  what you typed in , you got.  It was simple and fast. The changes, made and evolving, are not making any sense.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Search results

The "Price plus shipping: lowest first" sort order provides filtered results -- often drastically filtered. And the option to "see more results" may not always be shown as it should. The filtering may vary depending on the keywords used.

If you encounter a drastically filtered result for a keyword search using a desktop browser, you should be able to use the "Feedback" link in the lower right corner of the search results to provide feedback on your search to eBay developers. The more users provide info, the more likely something is to be done about the over-filtration problem.

You can avoid that problem entirely by using a different sort order.

If you have few results, try sorting by "highest first", then starting at the end of the results, scroll up instead of down. This also avoids the problem of variation listings with low-cost variations appearing at the top of the lowest-first sort.

If you have a bookmarked or saved lowest-first search that you use a lot, you can avoid the filtration by adding the following to the end of the search URL, then saving the resulting search:

&_blrs=recall_filtering

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you but in this case the "see more results" was not an option and when it is there I always use it before actually scrolling down.  It was a mere six results for a cd  by an well known artist and the results were to be from the US. The fact that it said "using fewer words" when the query was for Lana Del Ray which must be used to avoid getting every cd by an artist with Lana, Del or Ray in their name and after the six and the results using "less words" there were well over a hundred using the exact three words from here in the US.

This has happened quite often before using exact words, such as an author's name, book or film title etc., and in spite of using the option to check title and description ,as well as exact order, results will come up after the "using less words". The results will also be using the exact words in the exact order as my query...that it said was too many words. 

I'll try the feedback link. I've used it before when a search for a women's item, in the "women's clothing section",   had a list with over two thirds of baby items with a vague similarity to my search. It's still an issue with clothing.  Again thank you.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

If you do not see the "see more results" link, then you can try other options such as a different sort order, or using the "recall_filtering" parameter.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/176984/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lana-del-rey&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15&_blrs=recall...

Message 4 of 4
latest reply