cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Policy on Vinyl Records

I have stopped offering returns on all my vinyl records. After being ripped off by buyers who claim new records are damaged, have increased.  I have my reasoning as to why it is happening.  I am not a store and eBay treats me differently.  My items are not being seen. 

This is not about my pricing, only the fact I am punished for not offering returns.  I have maintained 100% buyer feedback for 18 years.

There is a loyal base of high-end buyers who are very satisfied. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Return Policy on Vinyl Records

@drummerphotographer   As a fellow seller I understand what you are saying.   Just be aware that the eBay Money Back Guarantee over rules your no return policy.  Your return policy is ONLY for buyers remorse returns, so the buyer would have to select a remorse reason such as found a better price, changed mind etc... THEN you can deny the refund. 

HOWEVER this is not what you want to hear but this is how the eBay MBG works>>

If the buyer files a refund request saying that the item is not as described ( damaged, defective etc)  then you need to accept the return and issue the return shipping label.  

The eBay Money Back Guarantee overrules your returns policy.   Your return policy only applies if the buyer files a buyer's remorse return:  Doesn't fit, changed mind, etc.  

If you do not accept the return willingly then the buyer can ask eBay to step in and forces a refund. You do not get your seller's fees back, you get a defect and the buyer may be allowed to keep the item.

If the buyer abuses the eBay MBG in some way then you can report them but it doesn't get your money back:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=

Sellers have protection for return abuse if they offer FREE RETURN shipping on their listings OR if they are a Top Rated seller and offer 30 days or greater returns.  The seller can then reduce the refund amount by up to 50% if the buyer sends a different item or somehow reduces the value of the item.

Seller protection: 
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protections?id=4345&st=

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for the reply. You are 100% correct.  This is not what I wanted to hear.

Scenario:

"Description:  The album is NM stating it plays well with little to no noise, a shiny surface, clean, and no scratches.  The jacket and inlays are also NM  with no issues as pictured. It is shipped in a quality mailer as pictured.

The album was purchased and shipped.  The buyer contacted me stating it was not as described and wants their money back."  

Vinyl is subjective and depends on the type of equipment used, etc.   

All buyers could say it was not as described (NM) as their ears heard a slight pop due to their care/turntable settings. 

Conclusion:

I have allowed a buyer to play a truly NM Lp, scratch it themselves, and be able to return it.

Why do Top Sellers get preferential treatment and why am I not a top seller with 100% buyer feedback over 18 years?   Because of a bogus return policy.

Also: Sell a CD in NM condition. The buyer rips the CD and files a not-as-described to get the music.

Why am I spending the little time I have left worrying about eBay?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@drummerphotographer   I am a fellow seller and can't fix the system I can only tell you how things work.  

To be consider Top Rated by eBay you need to have 100 sales totaling at least 1k in the last 12 months.    I almost lost my TRS rating because I didn't sell as many items this year even though I had enough $ wise.  

There is no easy issue solution to your problem of bad buyers the only thing you can do is sell for cash in person which you can't do on eBay then you wouldn't have to worry about returns.  

I have only had 2 bad buyers in 11 years so I have been pretty fortunate. 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you. I bought some albums from a guy who listed his albums on Craig's list them met in a mall. I was able to look and buy. It was 45 minute drive which was not bad. I may list a few . G

Message 5 of 5
latest reply