cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Ebay login after Mozilla update to 123.0.1

Greetings everybody, 16 year Ebay account holder here. I just wanted to share a recent frustrating login experience I had with my account. I have a few items for sale and was bidding on others so I wanted to log in and check the progress of those items. The night before 3/14/24 I had no problem doing so. Before I shut everything down, I noticed that Firefox was alerting me to a new update version so I updated the browser. I also use a more secure form of Mozilla Firefox, LibreWolf that also had an update available as well so I updated that one too. I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop and I updated all of them to the latest browser version. The next morning 3/15/24 I tried logging in and all looked normal. The Ebay login page accepted my username, I clicked continue, then the password screen popped up but this time there was no place for me to enter my password, it gave me only 3 options to login to Ebay, Facebook, Google or Apple. The option to continue login with my password was missing and only those 3 were available to me and I don't use any of those apps and they are not connected to my Ebay account. I was alarmed because I was essentially locked out of my Ebay account with business pending on it. Three Ebay customer service reps were no help. I got hung up on once. I even had to create a bogus Facebook and Ebay account just to be able to reach customer service! The chat service is awful.  I tried clearing cookies/cache, deactivating pop up blockers and gave Ebay.com permissions to keep cookies, ran virus scans, reset my router, rebooted the machines, turned off my firewall etc. but nothing worked. I opened a trouble ticket to those browsers. As of this Saturday morning 3/16 I still can't login using Firefox or LibreWolf so I downloaded Google Chrome and that one works on all 3 of my machines.  I don't know how to report this problem to Ebay technical people so I hope this post can be used to do so by someone with more experience here. Anyone else have login issues like this before? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Are you able to sign in using a private browser window in Firefox?

I have not had any problems signing in using Firefox 123.0.1. Just to make sure, I cleared cache and cookies in Firefox, restarted the browser and signed in to eBay from scratch entering my username. eBay gave me the opportunity to enter my password on the next page and I was able to sign in without any issues.

It might be worth manually erasing just your eBay cookies -- a problem with a corrupt cookie might cause some issues and might not respond to a simple clearing of all cookies.

Check to make sure Firefox is allowing JavaScript and cookies here:

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/

I seem to recall someone else posted something similar recently about not seeing a password entry field, so you may not be the only one with this issue. I will see if I can find that post (it looks like it may have been you posting under a different account):

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/Ebay-won-t-let-me-use-my-password/m-p/34349913/highlight/...

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hey thanks for your reply. I tried using my VPN and I was faced with the same issue. Cleared cookies and catch and ran Ccleaner to make sure. The only browser that is thankfully currently working for me is Chrome. I also noticed today that the login page to my bank account is acting the same way in that it lets me put in my login credentials and I can click continue but then the page is a solid white and will not load and again not having issues using Chrome. I can't afford to wait for a fix so I may just continue using Chrome as my main browser. If you could find that link to another user who had a similar problem, that would be great as I may try to use their fix.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

It appears the other poster was actually you posting under a different account. I had edited my previous post to include a link to what appears to be your other thread.

If you are certain you have cleared cache and manually deleted eBay cookies, or if the problem occurs in more than one browser, the problem may be associated with a common browser add-on such as an ad blocker or script blocker or something similar. Try temporarily disabling add-ons and see if that allows you to enter your password.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply