cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Bought (As A guest) Has Not arrived. Tracking says it has... Help from Ebay unavailable

So I recently purchased some private item for myself. I did not check out when logged in my account but rather checked out as a guest.

Today I was at home when I received an email; confirmation of delivery for this item; so I went downstairs to check the door/letter hole. Nothing has arrived.  I thought maybe the  item was marked as delivered prematurely. I waited longer..still nothing.

My issue is; I cannot contact Ebay to get them to act on it. I think this seller is scamming people /using some 'fake ' tracking number that shows everything as delivered when in fact he/she is not even dispatching these items. 

Whatever I try Ebay is asking me to either log in or sign up for an account in order to access further help/ report it. I cannot sign up for another account as I am only allowed to have one. By signing up I would most likely violate the rules and lose my existing selling account.  

When I log in it the system is taking me to 'report item that hasn't  arrived' by me picking them from my purchased  list (the list only shows the items I ordered when I was logged in, so the item purchased as a guest does not show). It looks like there is not way of reporting this scam without calling ebay....Just very inconvenient. Scammers that do not post items put customers (without Ebay account) off from shopping on the website. Before I call ebay I may try to see if I can report this seller from my account ....

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Item Bought (As A guest) Has Not arrived. Tracking says it has... Help from Ebay unavailable

eBay has no rules against multiple accounts, I have many accounts. You simply need a different email address for each account.

If you were not logged in and purchased as a guest, you would receive an email confirmation of the guest purchase. That email will have instructions for finding your guest purchase on eBay.

Here is the US help page with a big blue button for getting to your guest purchase:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/returning-item/returning-items-bought-guest?id=4065

Since you are in the UK and asking on the US forum, it is not clear where you might have purchased. Generally, a buyer must open a complaint on the same site as the purchase, so there might be some difference when accessing your guest account.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: Item Bought (As A guest) Has Not arrived. Tracking says it has... Help from Ebay unavailable

I am in the UK and purchased an item form a UK seller. When you follow the link from the 'solution' above you will find that it will ask you for email you used when making the purchase as a guest. Purchase as a guest does not require an email (you can log out of your ebay account and purchase an item as a guest . So when this item does not arrive there is no email you can provide to this Ebay 'solution' link to access hep. I purchased as a guest from outside of my account (logged out) and then purchased as a guest. When purchased in this way item does not arrive there is still no way to access help. The system kept asking for the email and when I entered my main account email it took me to my purchase history and asked to select one of the items that were purchased from within my account. The item that I purchased as a guest was not there and there was no option to add the item (even using its number).

Apart from this I recently noticed a serious security issue: in case of an account hack (for account owners who were hacked and cannot log in anymore) there is no way to get help on the phone or online. The online system requires you to log in (which when your account is hacked you cannot do) the phone system is set to say  'I will connect you to our teammate' but then will switch and play you an automated message asking you to log into your account for further help. When the message ends the call also ends and you are left at a dead end. I think Ebay is just shooting itself in the foot by making these 'Loops of self help' that require a logging in and disconnecting all human interactions.  I think only the hackers  and scammers may appreciate this  state of affairs.  Ebay please make human support available and accessible not only from within ebay account again.  I have control over my account now  but it was hacked 2ce in the recent weeks. The access to quick on the phone help with a human advisor WITHOUT HAVING TO LOG IN is essential to prevent organised groups of hackers from stealing accounts of honest, long -term sellers and using them to sell their own mobile phones and games (that come from god knows where)  on Ebay under the hacked person's name.  The on the phone help should require the caller to confirm at least 2 'secret details' about them and not just DOB (this is something a hacker who hacked your email first can easily find in your mailbox). Asking for mother's maiden name for example might be much better as this is rarely discussed , even in personal emails.  To summarise ; the item was finally delivered<- Royal Mail marked it as delivered prematurely) so this is now solved but my security concerns remain. I am really worried that if my account is hacked again I will not be able to get it back and will have to write to Ebay first. Meanwhile the hacker can do what he pleases , including promoting his fraudulent listings at my expense (£2.50 per listing) and create refund charges for items he did not post to my bank account)

Without real human customer service/support the system is just much less safe. No amount of replies from other inexpensively recruited users will replace the real customer service. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you I am in the UK. I believe there are rules against one person having multiple ebay accounts - same with PP.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@virginwizard 

eBay UK does allow multiple accounts:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/account/signing-ebay-account/signing-ebay-account?id=4191#section8

If you are worried that you might be locked out of your account and will be unable to log in for help, there is a UK help page for a hijacked account: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/account/protecting-account/get-help-hacked-account?id=4196 

At the bottom of the page, click the "Contact Us" option and type "agent" into the chat box that opens. If there is no text-entry box in chat, then select a reason ("I can't sign in" if you are locked out) and you'll be shown a text box where you can type "agent".  That will open a form to enter your contact info: 

shipscript_0-1662139490274.png

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply