cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report a buyer's negative feedback threat?

Buyer is returning an item and wants me to pay all or part of return shipping and wrote, "If there is any way you can help towards defraying shipping, it would be so much appreciated. If you can do that, I will refrain from any negative feedback."

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: How do I report a buyer's negative feedback threat?

What is the reason for the return? Damaged? Not as described? if so, you are responsible for return shipping.

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The item is a pre-owned tablecloth with faint spots pictured and described in the listing. I did not detect or describe any odors. The buyer claims it has a strong musty odor that transferred to some of her placemats. I would have noticed a strong odor and either not have purchased it or sold it or I would have washed it first before listing it. I know some people have a stronger sense of smell than others, but I've never had such a strong reaction to any of the vintage/used/pre-owned linens that I sell. She did not wash it upon receiving it. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

As you say...some people detect odors better than others. (I used to work with someone who would compliment people on the fragrance from their soap or hair conditioner in the morning from several feet away. This would be hours after showering!)

At any rate, your buyer did detect an odor. I would invite her to open a return and pay for the return shipping rather than try to fight it out and end up earning a defect on your account as well as negative feedback.

(Used items are expected to be cleaned before sending.)

Inceptions

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

She said she sent it back today hours ago. I have not seen anything yet from eBay saying that a return has been opened. What really got to me was the negative feedback threat. I'm willing to meet her half way at the least, but feel like her "negative feedback" remark was aggressive.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Feedback Extortion Policy

What is the policy?

Buyers aren't allowed to:

• Threaten to use feedback or detailed seller ratings (DSRs) in an attempt to force sellers into meeting their demands. For example, buyers can't threaten to leave negative feedback unless the seller pays for return shipping, when the seller's return policy in the listing didn't state free returns

Thank you for all of your input and responses. I am considering a shipping refund of some sort. I'm a sympathetic and reasonable seller but the threat she sent really got to me. The full sentence she wrote, "If you can do that, I will refrain from any negative feedback, though I kind of feel it would benefit others to know they are going out on a limb when they purchase from this shop."

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Your return policy is for remorse returns, not for item not as described returns. eBay's Money Back Guarantee trumps that.

It sounds like the buyer doesn't understand how the Money Back Guarantee works. It also sounds like she is expecting bad customer service. Leaving negative feedback because of the item condition is not the same as leaving feedback for a remorse return that doesn't qualify for return shipping.

One would qualify for feedback extortion, but the other wouldn't.

You will be the one to decide what you will do, but you may regret it if things don't work out the way you want them to.

Inceptions

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes, I do understand the difference. I think I'll talk to eBay and see what they think about the details in this situation. Again, thank you so much for all of your attention to my issue. I really appreciate it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply