cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I calculate shipping for an order that requires the items be split into two shipments ?

How do I calculate shipping for an order that requires the items be split into two shipments due to. Order for set of books.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

How do I calculate shipping for an order that requires the items be split into two shipments ?

@sitonmycar 

Below are instruction for items you plan to list (estimating costs), and for printing labels after they are sold  (printing labels):

Estimating your shipping costs:

Flat rate shipping: Weigh and measure all the packages. Determine the shipping cost to zone 8 for each box. Add all the shipping costs together and list as one flat rate (same price to everyone). State in your description that you will refund the difference if the buyer is not in zone 8.  You may want to block locations that are farther than zone 8.

Calculated shipping: This is much trickier, but can help get closer to actual costs without blocking locations. Find the near and far rates for each package and combine the near rates together and the far rates together to create a new cost-spread for the combined packages. Experiment with weights until you find a weight that can return somewhat the same spread of costs. You will not be allowed to charge more than what the buyer is shown at checkout, so err on the high side and let buyers know in the description that shipping is an estimate and you will refund if the actual costs are considerably less.

Printing your labels:

When you print your labels on eBay, print the label for the weight and dimensions of the first box. Then select the option to "print another label" for the same order, changing the weight and dimensions as needed, and purchase the next label.

Up to five tracking numbers can appear on one order. Label your boxes 1-of-2 and 2-of-2, and record what is in each box. Be sure to let your buyer know what will arrive with each tracking number.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

That's printing another label. I know how to do that. I want to know how to calculate shipping for two boxes for the same order split into two boxes/shipments because of media mail weight restrictions.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@sitonmycar 

Are you trying to list a set of books and need to estimate the cost of shipping in two boxes (my first example), or do you already have an order to split and need to print a separately tracked label for each box (my second example)?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply