cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudlent buyers

I have sold two items recently that buyers say arrived broken. I know they were lying as I packaged the items extremely well. I saw on goole that ebay buyers who claim that items arrived broken was the number one fraud on ebay.  How do you protect yourself from these buyers.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Fraudlent buyers

Hi @choochoocindy22 

Most of the fraud on eBay involves items listed by sellers located in China.

You don't know the buyer is lying, so it's best not to assume he is, particularly as the way you handle this would be the same whether he is or not. If you received a damaged item, you would not want your seller to say they "know you are lying," right?

Ask the buyer to open a return and attach photos of the damaged item and packaging so that you can resolve the problem.

When he does, just refund without requiring a return and AFTER that, file an insurance claim. Alternatively, you can pay for the buyer to ship the items back to you.

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Yes,  I did ask the buyer for pictures and I always am curteous.  Never heard back from buyer that's why I think it is a fraud.

I myself always send pictures if I have a problem with an item. Thankfully that doesn't happen very often.

Thanks for your input.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hi @choochoocindy22 

If the buyer doesn't send photos or respond further, then you are right - he may be trying to scam you. There is no action you need to take in that case. The ball is in his court.

You can add the buyer to your blocked buyer list if you don't want to do business with him again.

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 4 of 4
latest reply