cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customs restriction? Can someone help me understand

I sold a Husqvarna tool and when the buyer went to pay, he was given a message that said the following: 

5B996D88-6B18-4692-8EAC-B44FDECF9D67.jpeg

I called eBay and my global shipping option was on but then I was told to add some different shipping options and I was given a shipping estimation then sent the buyer the invoice. Buyer paid and no shipping options were available. I called eBay back and they said it was because I didn’t have international shipping to cancel the order and they would help me relist but as they could see I did have that option all along then they said my item was too heavy but even at one lb no shipping options . I then was told it’s because it has a customs restriction and this item can’t be shipping to Canada? What??? No it doesn’t it! I have a hard time believe what I’m being told. Can someone help me problem solve because this item is a $5,000 dollar item and I would like to get it to the buyer 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Customs restriction? Can someone help me understand

Is this the listing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294984468303

If so, Global Shipping is enabled, but no countries were selected. An international option was not selected for the listing. While you can't go back and select Global Shipping after the sale, you should still be able to select eBay International Standard.

If you can't find that option, you might contact your local FedEx or UPS store to see if you can ship via a ground service directly through them. To add insurance will cost a bit more. And you will need to include signature confirmation for eBay. Check out their websites to get a shipping estimate. Since you are already close to the border, a direct shipment might be the most expeditious. There is customs paperwork, and it will cost extra to have UPS or FedEx act as your agent to perform that function, but shipments to Canada are usually not difficult.

https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/home.html

Alternatively, cancel and refund the sale and relist with an international option enabled. Then when the buyer repurchases, the Global Shipping Program will kick in and provide the shipping option. You will probably have to ship your item to Kentucky to have it shipped back to BC, so shipping will probably double for the buyer.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I canceled order and relisted with different options to Canada and still it’s not allowing me to ship. If you don’t mind, will you look at my listing again and see if you can help me figure out how to do this? 
Is it possible for me to ship maybe through PayPal? 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Your listing does not show the Global Shipping Program (GSP) to me.  I only see the UPS option.  While the GSP does exclude some Business & Industrial categories, it shouldn't be excluding yours.  GSP has weight and dimension limits, but I suspect your item is well below the limits.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/global-shipping-program?id...

What is the weight and packaged dimensions of your item? What is the destination postal code?

I looked at PayPal (which now connects to ShipStation) and found only USPS options. Why not call your local UPS office to see if they can help with the shipment. You will be required to include an export document, but the only difficult part would be getting a harmonized number from our department of commerce. I could probably help you find a suitable classification if you could describe what that tool does. 

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I did list this with global shipping but because of the size it wasn’t accepting it so I had to go in and add other options. The cost quoted didn’t even pay for half of the shipping and I figured out that the package needed to weigh 66 lbs or less even though the posted description of max weight says 70 lbs and at 66 lbs only this one option was available through Ebays shipping. I had to send the set in 2 different packages and It was sent today. I hope I didn’t miss the harmonized number portion but I did look up and found a 10 digit code that defined it best. Hopefully this is the code you are referring to. USPS was double the cost of UPS I was also able to find UPS option through pirate ship but the largest value amount I was allowed to record was $2,000 so I shipped it USPS. 
It’s a bit frustrating that No one from EBay knew or was willing to help me and just gave me fake made up answers. I was told it wasn’t possible, not allowed etc... I don’t have a problem when someone says I’m not sure but when associates make up answers and say it can’t be done or isn’t allowed it becomes so frustrating!! 

anyways thanks so much for answering my questions, I appreciate you taking the time to offer help and support. 
Respectfully 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply