cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circumventing fees

My husband bought a car on ebay. The seller txted him to send a cashier check. My husband just told me and realized he should not have paid that way. His attempt to contact ebay have resulted in no reply. They even took down the listing. Any ideas on how to talk to a human about this. The old ebay phone will not connect him to anyone

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Circumventing fees

Most likely, the car was not listed on eBay. There are many scams, on Facebook and other sites, that pretend to be selling something that eBay will be handling.  

These are red flags for a SCAM:

• Vehicle found on some other website.
  • The vehicle can not be found on https://ebay.com/motors
  • Price is too good to be true.
  • There is urgency due to death, divorce, transfer.
  • Vehicle is not available for inspection.
  • False claims that eBay will provide any of these non-existent services:
    • broker the sale.
    • require prepaid cards as payment.
    • escrow/hold the payment.
    • warehouse the vehicle.
    • ship the vehicle.
    • offer a free inspection period.
    • provide free delivery or returns.

eBay Scam Info page:
https://pages.motors.ebay.com//buy/security/index.html

If you received an email or were directed to a website, forward this type of scam email as an attachment (so that the email headers are maintained) to car@ebay.com to add to their ongoing investigations, or send them the website address.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The car WAS listed on ebay. In fact he has another now with his phone number and wiring money if you win

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@jgroteilat 

Can you post the item number or link to the car that was purchased or to the current car listing?

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@jgroteilat 

The listing ended Aug 17 2023 and shows that the car is covered by eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection for non-delivery of title. 

https://pages.ebay.com/motors/buy/purchase-protection/index.html

The buyer is responsible for picking up the vehicle or for arranging carrier transport. Have you contacted the seller to make arrangements for picking up or transporting the car? Shipping a car must be arranged by the buyer - the seller is not obliged to ship, and is probably waiting for some communication from the buyer. 

I would hurry to get this settled before the listing disappears at 90 days.  Contact the seller and start discussing how to pick up the car and transfer title. The seller is probably wondering what happened to the buyer.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Car delivery was paid by my husband.  Title received. Car was not as advertised. My husband wanted to leave feedback but ebay said was not paid for. When he told me how he paid and that they had contact, i explained that is not what ebay wants.  He had another vehicle listed the same way, but ebay was notified and that was removed

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The title of your post is "circumventing fees". However, it is not possible to circumvent eBay fees when selling a car because the fees are paid up front by the seller. There are no Final Value Fees to circumvent. Due to legalities, the sale is completed outside of eBay directly between the buyer and seller, and, prior to payment, either party can walk away from the transaction without consequence.

The only sum that eBay could collect from a buyer is a deposit. Since that listing had no deposit, eBay would have nothing to collect - thus, no buyer payment. However, it is interesting that "no deposit" translates to no feedback.

A cashier check is a normal method of car payment, as is cash on pickup, while western union  and wire transfer are not recommended due to high fraud rates.

It is difficult to advise from snips and bits, without the full story line. Did you take possession of the car and discover undisclosed problems? If so, read the VPP details here:

https://www.ebay.com/cdp/help/vehicle-protection-plan-details 

eBay's Vehicle Protection Plan covers hidden issues that would not have been evident when personally inspecting the vehicle. eBay expects buyers to look at the vehicle prior to purchasing, and for those who can't, each listing has a link to a paid inspection service to take a look on behalf of the buyer. eBay VPP will not cover problems that would have been evident to someone examining or driving the car.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply