cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge for return shipping

I sold an item to someone who provided the wrong address and the package was returned. He wants the item and is willing to pay the shipping back to him. I paid for it the first time and informed him he would have to pay for the return to him. How do I charge him for the shipping? How would he pay me?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Charge for return shipping

@roy-n-charis wrote:

Would I invoice them through PayPal? I want to make sure that this doesn’t circumnavigate eBay because I don’t want to get in trouble. Within the eBay website I cannot find any link to send them any kind of an invoice.

@roy-n-charis   Actually and as @disneyshopper mentions, once a transaction occurs you can exchange contact information with your customer.  That is most commonly done on a Local Pick-up transaction.  While eBay is good at juggling one ball when something happens like your situation you have to deal with it because they have no point and click solution to send an invoice for additional payment ... thus the suggestion to try PayPal. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @roy-n-charis 

If they have a PayPal account you can invoice them providing they give you their email address

You can also ask them to request a cancellation, you can use the reason Buyer requested.  You can Relist it adding the additional shipping as a Handling cost or simply increase the item price to cover the additional shipping.

Regards,
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Would I invoice them through PayPal? I want to make sure that this doesn’t circumnavigate eBay because I don’t want to get in trouble. Within the eBay website I cannot find any link to send them any kind of an invoice.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Also your suggestion wont work for paypal as eBay does not allow its members to give out personal contact info such as email addresses in the messaging system. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Once you have a transaction with a buyer, you are allowed to exchange contact information.  You either send you Paypal email address to the buyer to send X amount, or you get the buyer's Paypal address and send a MONEY REQUEST through Paypal.  You can print the shipping label using Paypal when you get the funds.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@roy-n-charis wrote:

@roy-n-charis   Actually and as @disneyshopper mentions, once a transaction occurs you can exchange contact information with your customer.  That is most commonly done on a Local Pick-up transaction.  While eBay is good at juggling one ball when something happens like your situation you have to deal with it because they have no point and click solution to send an invoice for additional payment ... thus the suggestion to try PayPal. 

Regards,
Message 6 of 6
latest reply