cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get help from eBay regarding me wanting to return a purchased item

Purchased an item on eBay, and when the item arrived, found it to be not the item that I thought I was purchasing. Thought I was purchasing a 2022 Tax program and the item that arrived was a 2020 tax program. No where in the sellers descriptions or pictures was it noted or evident that the item was a 2020 tax program. I am dissatisfied and even though the seller's add stated that no returns are accepted, I believe because the sellers add was missing the information regarding the year of the tax program, I should get a refund.  I contacted the seller several times through eBay and there has not been a response.  I also attempted to contact eBay, since they claim that they have a satisfaction guarantee, also to no avail.  Can someone please advise me how I should proceed with this "satisfaction guarantee" that eBay claims to have.       .......Thank You

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@alezinczenk_0 

Ebay does NOT have a "satisfaction guarantee", they have a 30 day Money Back Guarantee in case the item you purchase is damaged/defective/not as described.

The seller's listing did not specify a date, so therefore you do not have a valid reason to use the Ebay MBG.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Yes the item that was received is "not as described"

I attempted to contact the seller several times and had no response.

The eBay policy is  ; 

"This seller does not accept returns for this item.

The seller may not accept your return request. If the item you received isn't to your expectation your purchase may be eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee."

I feel that I should be "eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee"...

How do I go about getting this.

Thank You

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@alezinczenk_0 

The fact that you "thought" it was a 2022 version does not make it not as described since the listing did not indicate any date. Your false assumption does not make you eligible for the Money Back Guarantee.

Since there was no date indicated on the listing, and you wanted a specific version, you should have asked the seller before purchasing the item.

*lady*madonna*

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Hi @alezinczenk_0 

I noticed that the item is listed as ‘brand new’.  Can it be used for current (new) returns?

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Ran out of editing time on my previous post.

EDITTED TO ADD:

I checked with an accountant ... my 'DS' .. and confirmed that a 2020 version can NOT be used to compute current taxes.

The seller is new ... and may not have meant to be deceptive ... but I believe that neglecting to reveal the year for which the item can be used is omitting a vital piece of information.  [I think the item is an example of what some Categories would call 'New (Old Stock)'.]

I believe the item qualities for eBay's MBG and that you can open a 'return request' from your Purchase History based on the omission.

In candor, buyers are supposed to ask questions rather than 'assuming' ... but I believe that most buyers would take 'Brand New' to mean 'Current'.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@alezinczenk_0 

@house*of*paws 

After examining the listing page, I saw that the UPC, Model, & MPN numbers were all on the listing page.

With minimal checking the numbers doing a Google search, it was very easy for me to find out it was a 2020 version, so anyone that wanted a 2022 version should not have purchased it.

MPN     133660020
GTIN     0735290107015
UPC   0735290107015
Model     1336600-20

Buyer's remorse?

*lady*madonna*

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@*lady*madonna* 

I wouldn't think that the average buyer would know how to check those numbers.  [Truth be told, I don't know what they all mean ... or where to check.]

My assumption was that it didn't even occur to the OP to question the 'year' since it was listed as 'Brand New'.  I think this may be a good issue to post in the ML.  I didn't feel comfortable withholding return info in this situation, but you may well be correct.

EDITTED TO ADD:  I did do a search for the item ... and the overwhelming majority of the listings had the year in the Title.  So is the seller responsible for omitting the info ... or is the buyer responsible for not noticing the year was omitted?  I felt the responsibility was more the seller's.  

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Hi @alezinczenk_0   It doesn't matter if the listing says No Refunds.  The item is not as described.  You are entitled to a refund.  Buyers are not expected to look to sources outside of the listing for an accurate item description.  A seller is supposed to know what they're selling, and the listing is supposed to contain all the information about the item. 

Stop trying to contact the seller.  If they were going to do right by you, they would have done it by now.  Stop trying to contact eBay.  If you actually reached someone who could tell you the correct thing to do, it would be exactly what I'm going to tell you here:  File for a Return.  The link to the eBay Help page where you can file is below.   On the Help page is a big blue button that says Start A Return.  Click it and it will take you to a page where any of your purchases that are within the 30 Day Money Back Guarantee deadline are listed.  Click the appropriate item and follow the prompts. 

The seller should then send you a pre-paid return shipping label if they want the item back.  They may not want it back since it would be a miracle to sell it twice.  Be sure to READ the entire Help page.  If the seller does not respond with a return label, you will have to ask eBay to step in.  It is all done by clicks.  You do not have to call anyone. 

As a final note, you sell yourself, so you should know how this goes, just in case.  As a seller you should know that No Returns does NOT mean no refunds.  If they don't want the item back, they still have to refund you for the item not being as it was described in the listing.  Brand New is not two years old. 

That said, you left negative feedback too soon and if you get refunded, should offer to change it.  Good luck!

eBay Help page on Returns, with the Big Blue Button to Start A Return:  https://www.ebay.com/help/returning-item/buying/return-item-refund?id=4041&st=3&pos=1&query=Return%2...

tenbigdogs_0-1673502479974.png

eBay Help page on changing feedback:

https://www.ebay.com/help/leaving-feedback-sellers/buying/viewing-changing-feedback-left-sellers?id=...

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Go and take a look at your purchase history. You can find it on the top right of any Ebay page. Hover over the words My Ebay. A menu will appear, click on Purchase history. Find the transaction. Look to the right there is likely to be a large blue box you can click on that says Return This Item.

OR

eBay Help page
https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/reporting-item-didnt-receive?id=4042
1. Go to Purchase history.
2. Select More actions beside your item and then Return this Item.
3. Now you select the reason you are requesting the return for refund.
4. You have the option of adding a message to the seller.
5. Select Send request.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@*lady*madonna* wrote:

@alezinczenk_0 

@house*of*paws 

After examining the listing page, I saw that the UPC, Model, & MPN numbers were all on the listing page.

With minimal checking the numbers doing a Google search, it was very easy for me to find out it was a 2020 version, so anyone that wanted a 2022 version should not have purchased it.

MPN     133660020
GTIN     0735290107015
UPC   0735290107015
Model     1336600-20

Buyer's remorse?

I don't think a buyer should be expected to have to google to find the tax year the software is for. Yes, it can be done, but to omit that from a listing is the seller's negligence. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Thanks for the guidance --- but after I added the details and two photos, I cannot proceed. The "Confirm return" button is gray and I'm not able to click it.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

Did you happen to try and file a claim before?  Did you close it?  What kind of claim was it?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

No, I did not file a claim before. 

The claim : Purchased a H & R Block tax program, expecting to receive a 2022 program.  Instead received a 2020 tax program. Would like a refund since I don't need a two year old program.

Was told to follow the link on the eBay help page to file for a return.

Followed that link, and was stopped at  the "confirm return" button because its gray and will not let me click on it. 

The seller responded to me after I contacted him, and told me that he would refund my money after I returned the item. This doesn't seem right, since returning the item to him does not guarantee a refund.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Hi @alezinczenk_0  If you paid with PayPal, you have more time to file a dispute.  PayPal gives you up to six months to file a complaint, but don't delay.  Get on it.  Keep your complaint short & sweet:  "Item was described as "Brand New" when it is in fact two years old."   The feedback for your item still says within last month, but if it's been more than thirty days since you received it, or the delivery window, it's not within the deadline.

If you paid with PayPal backed by a credit card, or a credit card alone, you can call the number on the back of the card and inquire about a chargeback.  That is the credit card company term for a requesting a refund.  The credit cards don't have a long window like PayPal, but try PayPal first.  If you try PayPal and it denies your refund, you can try your credit card.  But if you try the credit card first, PayPal will not consider it.  1. eBay Return; 2. PayPal; 3. Credit Card Company chargeback.  

If the seller is wiling to refund you, it needs to be through one of the official return/complaint systems.  In an official complaint you return the item, then get the refund.  But you need to be inside one of the official systems.  You are correct that if you just send it back to them outside of an official return, they have no incentive to refund you.  Again, if they cooperate with a return/refund, you should change your feedback from the negative.  They're new and that one negative is like putting them out of business.  Good luck!

Message 15 of 29
latest reply