cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't "Add To Watchlist," Place Bids, or View Listing Photos

A few days ago I started having issues with viewing and saving listings to My eBay.  Whenever I select the "Add To Watchlist" link at the top right corner of the listing, I get directed to an error page where it says "It’s not you. It’s us.  Our server is down, but we’ll have things back to normal soon. If you still need help, visit our help pages."  This problem has persisted for, as I said, the past two days and counting...

Additionally, I can't seem to view the photos in the listing, place bids, etc.  The photos seem to load on the sidebar, but will not load into the main viewing window nor can I zoom in on the photo that loads by default.  All of the main links seem to be available (visually), but not active.

I've tried rebooting the browser and the computer; no difference.  All the other links on the main "My eBay" page seem to work properly; I just have problems when viewing a listing.  So what's gone wrong...?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

How many active items are you watching?

And how many ended items?

Try deleting some old or ended items. When you do that, do the numbers change?

If not, try using a different browser to see if that affects whether you can add or delete items successfully.

Once you have deleted some items, are you able to add more?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I'm currently watching a total of 164 items, of which 32 have ended; I routinely will clean out old/ended items, so the total does tend to fluctuate some.  As I recall, the limit is 200.  The numbers do change when I delete items.  But under the current circumstances, I can't add them back onto my list.

I have tried another browser, on my work computer, and it seems to work normally; but I don't interpret that necessarily as the answer.  The internet connection on my work computer funnels through a proxy server in another state, so I'm not convinced (given the error message I receive) that the computers are using the same eBay server.  Bottom line is:  on my computer it worked fine one day, then abruptly stopped working the next.  When the listing pages load, it's like they don't fully load.  The principal links (e.g., "Place Bid") appear normally on the screen, but the graphics are merely placeholders on the page -- they're no longer active links.  But the non-graphical links (e.g., number of bids, "Add To Watchlist" at the top right-hand corner of the page) still function as active links; some do work properly, but others (in particular, the "Add To Watchlist") just send me to the error page I mentioned in my initial post.  Very puzzling.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

First: thanks for following up! I have seen many similar complaints recently, but few users seem to want to provide details of what they are actually seeing, and I am so far unable to recreate the issue, so I have been asking lots of questions and making suggestions based on very little actual information. Your response is quite helpful in narrowing some things down, and may point to a deeper problem.

You should be able to watch more than 400 items; eBay raised the limit to 400, and then recently raised the limit again. Currently I have over 400 items that I am watching, so it does not appear that you are running into the maximum number if those active and ended numbers are correct (though there are possible situations where the numbers you see might not be accurate).

It appears that you are able to add or delete items on one computer (your work computer), but not on another (your home computer?). It is not clear if the difference is the computer, the operating system or the browser itself. Or something else entirely.

Do the number of watched items (active and ended) match on both devices/browsers? I understand this may be hard to test if the devices are in different locations.

My initial working theory was that app users were not deleting ended items from the Watch List and reaching the maximum that way; but while that can happen, the fact that so many users are encountering the same problem right now -- along  with your added information -- indicates something else is going on.

My next theory is that something may be preventing users from actually deleting items from the Watch List; the same issue might also be preventing an accurate count of watched items. It may be that a particular version of the app, or a particular browser is allowing users to go through the motions of deleting an item from the list, and may give all the appearances of deleting an item, but the item may actually still be on the list -- or may not be being actually subtracted from the number of watched items in a way that makes room for another item to be watched.

Since I seem to be able to add and delete items successfully from my Watch List using Firefox and other browsers on a Windows 10 machine, and also add and delete items successfully using the latest Android version of the eBay app, that might make sense if all the users having problems were using the iOS version of the app. If you are not actually using the iOS version of the app, then perhaps the issue is with a specific version of the app, or with browsers on a certain operating system.

Or it may not be as simple as that at all. Perhaps I have not deleted enough items recently enough to run into the problem.

There was an issue like this that lead to eBay doing away with the old "All Lists" page, I think; items deleted from "All Lists" were not being deleted the same way as items deleted directly from the Watch List, and this was leading to problems.

I notice that eBay has recently changed some things about how items deleted from the Watch List are now being deleted from other custom lists at the same time, and I suspect that there might be a connection between the recent changes and the current problems.

Let me tag a member of the eBay community team here:

devon@ebay 

Devon: Lots of users are suddenly having problems adding items to the Watch List despite apparently not being anywhere near the maximum number of watched items, and the issue may be related to recent changes made by eBay regarding how items are now being deleted from all lists at the same time when they are deleted from the Watch List.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

First: thanks for following up! I have seen many similar complaints recently, but few users seem to want to provide details of what they are actually seeing, and I am so far unable to recreate the issue, so I have been asking lots of questions and making suggestions based on very little actual information. Your response is quite helpful in narrowing some things down, and may point to a deeper problem.

You should be able to watch more than 400 items; eBay raised the limit to 400, and then recently raised the limit again. Currently I have over 400 items that I am watching, so it does not appear that you are running into the maximum number if those active and ended numbers are correct (though there are possible situations where the numbers you see might not be accurate).

It appears that you are able to add or delete items on one computer (your work computer), but not on another (your home computer?). It is not clear if the difference is the computer, the operating system or the browser itself. Or something else entirely.

Do the number of watched items (active and ended) match on both devices/browsers? I understand this may be hard to test if the devices are in different locations.

My initial working theory was that app users were not deleting ended items from the Watch List and reaching the maximum that way; but while that can happen, the fact that so many users are encountering the same problem right now -- along  with your added information -- indicates something else is going on.

My next theory is that something may be preventing users from actually deleting items from the Watch List; the same issue might also be preventing an accurate count of watched items. It may be that a particular version of the app, or a particular browser is allowing users to go through the motions of deleting an item from the list, and may give all the appearances of deleting an item, but the item may actually still be on the list -- or may not be being actually subtracted from the number of watched items in a way that makes room for another item to be watched.

Since I seem to be able to add and delete items successfully from my Watch List using Firefox and other browsers on a Windows 10 machine, and also add and delete items successfully using the latest Android version of the eBay app, that might make sense if all the users having problems were using the iOS version of the app. If you are not actually using the iOS version of the app, then perhaps the issue is with a specific version of the app, or with browsers on a certain operating system.

Or it may not be as simple as that at all. Perhaps I have not deleted enough items recently enough to run into the problem.

There was an issue like this that lead to eBay doing away with the old "All Lists" page, I think; items deleted from "All Lists" were not being deleted the same way as items deleted directly from the Watch List, and this was leading to problems.

I notice that eBay has recently changed some things about how items deleted from the Watch List are now being deleted from other custom lists at the same time, and I suspect that there might be a connection between the recent changes and the current problems.

Let me tag a member of the eBay community team here:

devon@ebay 

Devon: Lots of users are suddenly having problems adding items to the Watch List despite apparently not being anywhere near the maximum number of watched items, and the issue may be related to recent changes made by eBay regarding how items are now being deleted from all lists at the same time when they are deleted from the Watch List.

Hey @eburtonlab! Thank you for letting me know about the issue with the Watch List. As of this morning there is no sitewide tickets open on this but I have gone ahead and reported this on my end. I will keep you updated on if there is a sitewide ticket that does come open.  

Devon,
eBay
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thanks, Devon!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

No worries.  Being an engineer, I'm aware of the importance of accurate details in troubleshooting a problem!  Thanks for reaching out to other experts in the eBay community on our behalf!

Yeah, I'm not even close to the limit of 400 items, nor have I even approached it.  I don't think that's the answer.

To give you a few more details about my situation:  the computers are completely different manufacturers, software (both browser and operating system), and age.  My work computer is a newer Dell laptop using Chrome; my home computer is an older MacBook using Firefox.  Since this problem began a couple days ago, I haven't been able to co-locate the computers to see if that makes a difference; but I will do so this evening.  I will confirm that they are both listing the same number of items as well, but based purely on my memory, I believe that they are.

I can remove items from my Watch List from either computer; I just can't currently seem to add them back using my home computer since I have to open the listing to do so, and the links for that function (adding the item to my list) are not functioning as expected (as previously described).

To reiterate:  my problem seems centered only on the item listing pages, where key links are either only graphically represented on the page (i.e., not an active link), or redirecting to an error page.  I can't seem to place a bid/buy an item or save and item to my Watch List.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

my problem seems centered only on the item listing pages, where key links are either only graphically represented on the page (i.e., not an active link), or redirecting to an error page. I can't seem to place a bid/buy an item or save and item to my Watch List.

Interesting.

Which version of Firefox are you using on your Macbook? Have you tried another browser on that device?

Are you able to add an item to your Watch List on your Macbook from the item listing using the "Add to Watchlist" text link in the upper right?  Or directly from the search results page using the heart icon?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I will have to report back about the version of Firefox; it's an older version, I know that much, but it's up to date according to its self-check.  I haven't tried a different browser, but up until two days ago Firefox worked perfectly fine, so...  I know there's often a tendency to push these kinds of problems off onto the user's software/browser, but I didn't change my software and then discover this problem; the links on the listing pages just stopped working properly from one day to the next -- which leads me to presume that something on eBay's listing pages changed...

No, I can't use the text link; it just redirects me to the error page I described in my initial post ("It’s not you.  It’s us.  Our server is down, but we’ll have things back to normal soon.  If you still need help, visit our help pages.").  Not very descriptive of the problem for the end user...  I waited a few days to see if "... things got back to normal..." but as of this morning, no joy...  And visiting the help pages is what led me to post this thread.

I haven't tried the "heart" link on the search results page, but will do so this evening.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Firefox version 78.15.0esr on my MacBook.

I was able to successfully add an item to my Watchlist using the "heart" icon on the search results page.  No change/improvement when I open the item listing, though...

The number of items displayed on my Watchlist is the same between my work laptop and personal MacBook.

Whatever the problem is, it's definitely confined to the item listing pages.  They are not properly loading into my browser any longer...

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Well, I seem to have solved my problem.  On a lark, I cleared all the eBay cookies and the browser cache, and now the item listing page loads properly; all graphical links now function correctly and the photos are viewable in the main window.

I guess something had become corrupted, but clearing the cookies and cache seems to have resolved it.  Thanks, all, for the responses and help!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Whatever the problem is, it's definitely confined to the item listing pages.

Have you tried clearing your cache in Firefox, and manually deleting just your eBay cookies? Or trying a private browser window? eBay has made some recent changes to the listing page, and if the files in your cache or the data in your eBay cookies are conflicting with the listing pages the site is currently delivering, that can cause all sorts of issues. [edit: I now see your most recent post -- I should have suggested clearing cache and cookies sooner!]

I may have been too quick to assume your problem was connected to the problem others are having adding an item to the Watch List, specifically.

Firefox version 78.15.0esr on my MacBook.

I am using Firefox 123.0.1, so that version is fairly old. Looks like it was last updated in 2021.

If nothing else works, you may want to try installing another browser and see if it does any better for you. If you need to keep using 78.15.0esr for other purposes, and you prefer using Firefox, you may be able to install Firefox Developer Edition in parallel; you may be able to use both browsers independently -- separate profiles, cache, cookies, add-ons if you have the space for that.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Well, this problem is occurring again.  This time clearing the cookies and cache is not working to resolve it.  Not sure what else to try...?  The item web pages displayed properly yesterday, now they don't...

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I think it is time for you to install another browser. You can continue to use your Firefox ESR version, but you should at least try another browser to see if that makes any difference when adding items to your Watch List.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply