cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer cancellation request, paid with wrong card

Is there any way this could be a scam? Buyer said they used the wrong card and will get an overdraft fee. Aren't you charged immediately when you make that payment? Who pays if their funds aren't sufficient? How are they allowed to pay if it's not? They requested to cancel. Ebay states I will be charged if there aren't sufficient funds on my end?? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Buyer cancellation request, paid with wrong card

Ordinarily, if there are not enough funds available on a charge card, the bank would reject the charge.  I've had that happen to me on a couple of times, as I did not realize I was that close to the limit.  Once I was advised the charge wouldn't go through, I selected to pay with a different card.

No, buyers aren't charged immediately, which is why sellers on Managed Payments are not paid immediately until ebay actually collects payment, and then sends the payment to the seller's checking account.

If you file a Cancellation, the refund comes out of your pending payouts.  If you don't have any at the moment, then the refund will be charged to your checking account (or the credit card you have on file) whichever you specified.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I don't think sending a refund should affect me, I should not have to pay it from my checking account because that pending payment should be there from them.  Whether it's a scam or not.. My bank didn't make this charge. lol

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I wonder how ebay would handle this if you were sent a fraudulent payment, and you refund that payment, who gets charged? 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply