cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID these 3D Japanese Paintings?

I am stumped, can you help? These two "paintings" are 3 dimensional.  What are they made from???  Looks like plaster composition on canvas or wood.  Definately from the 1950's or late 1940's.  I read that these types of paintings were brought back by servicemen stationed in Japan in WWII or serving in the Korean war.

Anyone know more about these items?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: ID these 3D Japanese Paintings?

I'm afraid I can't help much with these.  I've not seen the plaster or gesso type with the bark, before.  The Chinese did painted gesso work, but I can't imagine them doing one of Mt. Fuji.  However, because I'm not familiar with them doesn't mean they aren't Japanese.  I would agree that they are probably post WWII.

Most of what I've seen were made with built up areas of wood or bark and a scene like the top one.  The second picture would take a large stretch of the imagination to en\vision a Japanese setting.

Sorry I couldn't be more help on these.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: ID these 3D Japanese Paintings?

Thank you for your insight.  I will look into Chinese gesso work. 

Researching interesting items is like a treasure hunt:)

Message 3 of 3
latest reply