cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asian seals in carved stone box

Can an expert help  me with identifying possible age and substance of this box with 11 carved seals?  The box is carved in every side but the bottom and is 3-1/2" x 2-3/4" by 2" deep.   The seals within have not been carved on the bottom, and in fact a number is written on most of them.  The nine small ones all have plant carvings on top.  6 are sort of a light green, three are more reddish.  The larger two seals are a gold stone and I can't really tell what the top carving is.  I bought this very appealling item over a year ago at an estate sale for dirty cheap and have been trying to research since I know nothing about Asian antiques.  Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Do those pieces feel cold like stone or more like bone/resin? You can try asking here:

https://www.asianart.com/phpforum/index.php
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Definitely cold like stone.  Viewed from the side, individual pieces have some dark areas in the rock.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Maybe jade??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

These are not seals,the clue is with those holes,they are there for a reason.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

But any thoughts on what they are for, to follow up on your observation?
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

the 4 Kansi characters on the box tell what they are,take it to someone who can read them
Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 7 of 7
latest reply