cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify Hallmarks and age. Silver Plate footed vase flower organizer with frog lid.

Hi Friends.  We're attaching a picture of our piece. We want to list this item. 

We believe it is a 8-3/4" tall flower arranging vase with frog lid, silver plate and filigree, with hallmarks on the bottom that might be:

H & Co (with a bird or eagle)

We tried to look at Patent #72882, but not successful.  If this is not a flower organizer, we need to know what it is.

Thank you!Filigree_Flower_Arranging_Vase_Silverplate_10.jpgFiligree_Flower_Arranging_Vase_Silverplate_1.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Identify Hallmarks and age. Silver Plate footed vase flower organizer with frog lid.

@grandpas_backporch 

US Design Patent No. 72,882 is a design for the side panel of metal dishes, dating to 1927. It was assigned to the International Silver Company of Meriden, CT. Here's a pdf of the patent:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/d5/bb/8c/ff57ce28be81c0/USD72882.pdf

I think this was probably a bowl for holding potpourri. The pierced lid allowed the scent to escape, but prevented the potpourri from being scattered.

The Forbes company mentioned by @orphie1402 became part of the International Silver Company. I believe that is the correct mark, and the letters are F S Co for Forbes Silver Company.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Could it be a tealight or votive candle holder?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@grandpas_backporch 

US Design Patent No. 72,882 is a design for the side panel of metal dishes, dating to 1927. It was assigned to the International Silver Company of Meriden, CT. Here's a pdf of the patent:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/d5/bb/8c/ff57ce28be81c0/USD72882.pdf

I think this was probably a bowl for holding potpourri. The pierced lid allowed the scent to escape, but prevented the potpourri from being scattered.

The Forbes company mentioned by @orphie1402 became part of the International Silver Company. I believe that is the correct mark, and the letters are F S Co for Forbes Silver Company.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Awesome. Thank you so much. I have had success with patent look up before, but I must not have found the right place for this look-up.  I'll buy the suggestion that it is a Potpourri holder. Thank you again. So helpful.

Would they have hallmarked silver plate, or might this be silver.

Thank you again.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@grandpas_backporch,

It's silver plate. The hallmarks are not right for sterling silver.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply