cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bowl with crown mark on back

Hi,

I would appreciate your thoughts on this bowl.  I acquired it from my family 40 years ago, and know nothing of its history prior to that.  My family did collect antique.

Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

http://www.kovels.com/marks/pottery-porcelain-marks/crown.html

Check this, many crown marks... good luck!
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the link.....I will be sure to bookmark it.

I've always thought it odd that the mark appears so rustic.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Yes, it is rustic isn't it...hopefully that indicates it is OLD!! 🙂 looks hand done.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

TOO funny as after seeing your post I remembered seeing a similar piece somewhere and Lo & Behold it was here on Ebay! lol   try looking up this auction ID: - 190901291291   Per that seller their's is simply marked Japan.   I had thought Rosenthal.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/china-and-dinnerware/transferware

Looks like transferware, in answer to purplegilda, but read this,  grouper5lb, but the handpainted crown makes me think British.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi Purplegilda,

Thanks for posting the pic of the Bowl made in japan. Very pretty and amazing how classic design endures!
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Hi Sathya7,

Thanks for sending the link. I think transferware is really cool. I have a Spode transferware pitcher from the late 18th century or early 19th century in excellent condition.

The tray in question really confuses me though. I suppose it might be soft paste porcelain . The mark looks like I drew it on, but of course I didn't . I received it together with other interesting pieces, some French , and others English , and some from other places(a mystery to me.). One of the pieces is a 19th century soft paste, 2 piece porcelain clock , the works being made by the French maker Japy. I merely mention this as the bowl came in the company of old pieces. I guess this might be circumstantial evidence that the bowl is old.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Check with a flashlight to see if it is translucent, a good indication it is porcelain. I still think British.... keep combing through the marks, I am sure you will find it!

If all else fails, check with an online appraisal service. I have had good luck with worthpoint and whatsitworthtoyou. I never thought transferware was that old! amazing what one learns with a little bit of research 😉

Message 9 of 9
latest reply