cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need To Know About Carved Wooden Basket

This is really beautiful wood. I am trying to figure out if it was carved, or put on some kind of machine to achieve such a smooth finish.  Also, the inside sort of looks like birds eye maple in some areas. It is not signed anywhere. Pics are done with the flash except the last one.

Has anyone seen anything similar? Don't want to give it away if it might be something valuable.MVC-039Fwoodcarvedbasket.JPGMVC-040Fwoodcarvedbasket.JPGMVC-041Fwoodcarvedbasket.JPGMVC-042Fwoodcarvedbasket.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Need To Know About Carved Wooden Basket

Don't know the value, but it looks like a basket hand made from burled wood. You should be able to do a little research on your own from here, but here is an example of what you have. Pretty cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-BIO-MORPHIC-WOOD-BURL-BOWL-SCULPTURE-JERE-ERA-NAKASHIMA-MODERN-/351424...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Yes, I've seen a lot of them at local flea markets and import shops.  They are burl baskets, from China, available in several sizes.   Popular decorator items, but probably minimal resale value.  Some inventive buyers have taken to woodburning "signatures" into the base, so beware....

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thanks.
I should have looked at listed wooden baskets. Found some very similar to mine.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for your reply.
I should have used my head and did a search on listed wooden baskets. There are several very similar to mine.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply