cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late 1800's white marble and brass mantle clock.

By any chance does anyone know anything at all about the attached picture.  From my research, I believe this clock was made in the late 1800's and may be manufactured by the company Ansonia.  The only markings I was able to find is behind the clock mechanism and is stamped 7548.  This is a working wind up clock that also chimes.  Also, as seen in picture, it has matching (what I believe to be) pillar candle holders.

I would like to take this time to thank you all for any information you may provide.

Sincerely,

Carach

"Prayne de crabug ahm rinedere be-yogt iglo kes gron." - Wulfgar the Barbarian
translation:
"May the fleas of a thousand reindeer nest in your genitals" - Wulfgar the Barbarian
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Just providing one more picture of just the clock. 

Thanks again for your time and responses.

translation:
"May the fleas of a thousand reindeer nest in your genitals" - Wulfgar the Barbarian
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Every Ansonia Clock that I've come across was signed Ansonia on the movement. I suggest you compare the movement to a picture of a signed Ansonia movement to see if the are identical.

Those side pieces aren't really candle holders, they're just basically matching mantle decorations and really served no useful purpose, other than  just decoration.

It's a very nice set, the dial has me a little curious, as I don't remember seeing that exact dial on any Ansonia products, but it is a desireable clock set especially with the open escapement.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Eoma,

Thank you for your response.  It gives me a little more insight as to what I may or may not have.  I could not find any other markings except the 7548.  Would you say that it is from the 1800's then if it is not an Ansonia? 

My jeweler couldn't tell me much either, except that she hasn't seen the open escapement either on a clock like this. 

Thank you again for your reply.

translation:
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I've owned quite a few marble mantle clocks with open escapements, so they aren't really rare, just more desireable.

Almost every clock company made open escapement movements, and that includes French, English and German manufacturers.

Your clock appears to be from the late 1800s, but without comparing the movement to known movements, it would be impossible to tell what company made it. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Eoma,

Here is a picture of the movement and a better picture of the clock.  Again thanks for your responses.

translation:
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

translation:
Message 7 of 7
latest reply