cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help w/ID on Old Carved Architectural(?) Wood Panel

hi everyone.  i bought this a couple of days ago because it was a slow day and i wanted to buy something.  the piece was in an expensive, fancy frame 4 times its size, and it was cheap.  whenever i see things like that i wonder, why did someone go to all the trouble of framing this thing?  anyway,  i think it's Asian, or Chinese, but i really have no idea.  it occurred to me also, it might be Muslim.  one of the things that attracted me to it was it's asymmetry.  i think i'm always attracted to that.  anyway, the piece is 16.5 inches in length and i think it's yellow wood.  you can see evidence of worms or some other insects on the backside.  any ideas or suggestions about where to go look would be greatly appreciated...thanks, jim

panel_ful.jpgpanel_back.jpgpanel_centerdet.jpgpanel_paint.jpgpanel_rightdet.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

My guess is Thai. Please check Thai architecture and carvings.

I like theassymetry too. A lotus on one side a ribbon bow on the other!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The fancy frame could be because this was an important piece to whoever owned it. A panel from an old ancestral home torn down? A temple? Carried to the US in memory of the place? 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

When I lived in Japan, there were lots of these carved items for sale on the military bases, they were made in the Phillippines. They made screens, wall hangings, small tables. They were regarded as cheap items back in the 80s, but may be collectible now, I'm not sure.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Very possible! My brother served in Japan, he might remember!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

thank you all for your opinions.  this is definitely something that occurred to me.  that is to say, this piece held significance to the person that owned it, and that significance is lost now.  i've had luck with listing things like this with an opening bid of .99 cents.  and that's probably what i'll do soon.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Beautiful find!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply