cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egyptian or Chinese Vase Pot? Please Help Identify I'm At a Loss!

I found this at an estate sale. Can anyone help me identify? Or tell me where to look? I so appreciate any information.........

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Can you post pics of the bottom?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Have you tried researching if this thing is not an ancient oil lamp? (Chinese, Japanese, Roman, Egyptian??) 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

That is an excellent idea. It does have all of the characteristics. I'll see what I can do. Narrowing down the symbolic images would help, but I'll research all of them.  Thanks so much for the idea!!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

For $15 you can have valuemystuff.com appraise it. I use them when I am stumped. The patina on this makes it look very old
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thanks! I'll try that!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

This is worth using an online appraisal service... as was said for around 15 dollars you will get a good idea of what it is.... there is what its worth to you dot com and others. It has me stumped! I dont see China here... there would be Buddhist symbols. Not India. Possible Middle East.

Any idea of its provenance...i.e. did the previous owner travel? collect antiques? or was it just a random piece.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thanks so much for contributing! I did contact a web site yesterday, so we will see what they say. The estate sale where we found this DID have a lot of indications of travel.  I don't know whether those belonged to the estate sale company or the home owner, but they were there. The sticker on the item said it was a "Egyptian pot", so I was going with that, but I  don't usually trust things like that. I have an Indian artifact and contacted a museum about it. They didn't want it because it couldn't be identified, they took a picture of it and he said he would send it to some collegues. I never heard from him........ so if you have nothing to go on, its almost impossible to know how to find out. I'm on a mission! Ill exhaust a lot more options! Thanks again!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@ahooga2 please let us know what you find out!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Yes. Please!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

One of the very big problems these days is the production of "antiques" I have seen it in India and I bought an item in Iran which was supposed to be over a hundred years old ( i was pretty innocent in those days) A friend informed me they were mass produced for tourists..... the patina could be real but the item can also be subjected to various chemicals!

Value my stuff is probably the way to go. If they said it was an "Egyptian pot" it could be old or manufactured. Only an expert who has seen these could say...good luck and do let us know what you find out!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply