cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me any info about this chandelier?

Hi, can anyone give me an idea of the origin, age, and what this chandelier is made of? It weighs over 75lbs. I haven't found any online, and the only thing I found that was remotely similar, was on an auction website, and was an astounding price. My friend worked with his dad in the 1960's repairing antique lighting. His guess was it was made before 1940, and it is either french or spanish bronze. Any chance he is right? How would you even price this? If it is valuable, should I take it to an antique dealer? Thanks!P6150765.JPGC1apture.JPG2Capture.JPGP6150771.JPGP6150772.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I don't believe the chandelier is that old...

The patina doesn't appear original or old, it's too even, and way too shiny, the sockets appear to be brand new, and the hardware used to hold down the Alabaster? shades appears to also be newer, and how the shades are connected make me believe it is a contemporary fixture.

The light sockets actually look like they are plastic, and there looks like there are rubber gaskets used to cushion the shades.

Now, this could have been restored recently, but that still wouldn't explain how the shades are held on, as I don't recall seeing any antique chandeliers that used that type of screw on connector, but I did purchase some brand new hall lights with they type of mount for the shades.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I was thinking the same, I just didn't want to be the first one to say it.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, very helpful!
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to answer!
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Any way to test  what it is made of?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I think the style will sell the chandelier, not the material it is made of.

It could be bronze or bronze colored white metal, and removing one of the arms may help with identifying what it is made of, but again, it will sell due to the style, not the material.

You can Google to see what other methods can be used to identify the metal.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 8 of 8
latest reply