cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Anybody Give Me Info on This Antique Armoire and Linen Press?

My mother was given this very large beautiful embellished armoire and press bedroom set. It is so enormous that it was shipped from Europe in five pieces.Original brass and is machine dove - tailed.
Any help would be appreciated! Will send pics.
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

How do I add pics?
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Go to the HELP part on the left, you will see IMAGES. There will be step by step instructons to upload pics.

Looking forward to seeing the armoire!! Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

This is  the armoire/ linen press that my mom has.. .knows little about it except it is from turn-of-century and was brought by ship from Europe in five pieces. Takes up half of room! Solid wood machine dove-tailed. A gorgeous piece of furniture.... any help in identifying it would be much appreciated!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

It's a very pretty piece, with lovely proportions and decorations.

Could you please post photos of the dovetails and interior? If you can get shots of the back as well, particularly the joinery at the corners, that would also help. Likewise, better images of the hardware.

If you are definitely certain that the dovetails are machine-made, however, and that the piece was actually built in Europe, that would date it to roughly the 1930s or later, most likely. Machined joinery was introduced around 1870 and became more common around the 1890s in the US, but was not accepted until much later in Europe.

That said, based solely on the decorative motifs and overall lines, without having the advantage of a clear shot of the hardware, interiors, or the joinery, and assuming you are correct about the machined joinery, I would say the style is what we would call "in the Sheraton taste". It's definitely not a period piece, but is a reproduction of an antique or made as a very nice, entirely new design with just elements of the Sheraton style. True Sheraton period pieces would have been very unlikely to be painted like this, as Thomas Sheraton was particularly known for the use of stunning multiple contrasting woods and delicate inlays and banding with them, with these kinds of delicate, feminine motifs also executed as inlays rather than applied to the surfaces as these are.

I'm no expert, but I hope this helps.

Wendy Hoechstetter
Hoechstetter Interiors
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thank you Wendy! I DO know is has been painted. ..when I don't know. Here are some more pics of dove - tailing and brass....
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Here are some new pics showing original brass and dove-tailing.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

The style looks to be Edwardian (England) but the dovetails say Continental possibly Swedish or...? Looks late 19th/e20th century.

If you take more close ups of the locks from the inside it will help date it ...take a drawer out to get the shot, while out lets see the back dovetails and a shot ( well lit) of the interior where you take the drawer out. The paint is not original. The dovetails are hand cut.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the kudo. The dovetails are absolutely hand cut and this particular style of dovetail is seen on Contnental and Scandanavian drawers. I would date it circa 1890/1900+. If mine I would pursue the Swedish possibility. Are there any labels or writing on the back or inside?

Message 11 of 11
latest reply