cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ancient bronze tool possibly over 1000 years old

if you are a archaeologist and can recognize this tool please respond and let me know what it is i've been told by an archaeologist that it could be possibly 1000 years old but he couldn't pinpoint what civilization and came from so if you're familiar with this piece please let me know thank you very much. I believe it came from Iraq or Mesopotamia
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Wrong countries. These pieces are from somewhere in S.E. Asia. I am guessing Indonesia, possibly Burma (Myanmar) or Java. A big stretch but Tibet or Nepal (Newari tribe) could be included.

Are there two pieces? please describe them, a hollow tube and a pointed instrument...?? are they heavy?

The pieces might be worth showing to an expert, either in person or online. There are reasonable appraisers online (15 dollars or so) It might give you a start.

There are a group of very knowledgeable people on Gotheborg.com (you would have to join) and they do not appraise, it is strictly research and no money talk. You cannot be trying to sell the objects either.

Let us know whay you find out!! 🙂

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Not to sound mean or anything  but my question is what kind of archaeologist is going to tell you it could be 1000 years old when  they dont know where it is from?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You said my thoughts exactly.  Not to be mean either. 🙂  I have some knowledge of arts and crafts from India and SE Asia and this was absolutely clear for me. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your input !
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I was hoping that someone would recognize the style and perhaps the age and it's purpose thank you for your Analysis.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@usreyn_bb5ir9j wrote:
I was hoping that someone would recognize the style and perhaps the age and it's purpose thank you for your Analysis.

How, when you don't even give the size of the thing(s)?  If it's small enough, it might be some sort of sheathed pin, for clothing, or it might be a toothpick.  If it's large enough, it might be some sort of weapon, or an incising tool for arts or crafts.  Heck, maybe it's a medical device.  And is the "sheath" part a full cylinder or is it flat on one side?

To the best of my knowledge there are no archaeologists who frequent these boards.  As for the one you consulted, if he truly is a professional and if he truly believed it to be an antiquity, why couldn't he refer you to someone who could identify it?

Sorry, but this is all just a tad weird.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply