cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100 Year Old Goblets and other altar items Are they more valuable cleaned or left the way they are

thumbnail (2).jfifthumbnail (3).jfif

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: 100 Year Old Goblets and other altar items Are they more valuable cleaned or left the way they a

Anonymous
Not applicable

If they are sterling clean them. Other than the bottle not sure these are 100 years old.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: 100 Year Old Goblets and other altar items Are they more valuable cleaned or left the way they a

These are the items that were used in the church when my grandparents got married.  That was close to 100 years.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I have sold antique sterling and silver plated items before and received complaints from the buyers because I cleaned them.  Some buyers prefer them with the tarnish and patina.  Some like them clean.

Its a toss up but I no longer clean any vintage or antique items and leave it up to the buyer to do that.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Can you quess what these all might be worth.  Or should I sell them individually.  They were wrapped in plastic for years.  My mother had told me they were used in the catholic church the day my grandparents married.  Which was around 1918 or 1919

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

While I hope for your sake they are older, I have collected vintage and antique Catholic items for over 30 years. People say rooms of my home look like a church. Other than the bottle I don't think any itmes are 100 years old. The chalices seem far more modern to me. The ones from the era you hope for are more ornate. The criucifix is most likely mid century at best. It's painted wood? I just really think everything but the bottle is more in the 50's range. Sorry and hope I'm wrong.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank You for you response.  Not having anyone still around to really authenticate these items are hard.  I know they have all been in a bag together forever.  I'm thinking they  might have been in a communion box or such at one time.  The bottle is the best condition out of all of them.  What do you think those 2 little brass looking things are.  Could they also be snuffers.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

You should look at the hallmark on the underside of the goblets/chalices. If marked then research it and that will tell you how old they are.  Just my two "sense"

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Yea all it say is Sheridan EPS

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Its silverplate... Check this link out.

http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_S2.html

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Don't clean. People like the age on their things and if they don't they can clean it off!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 11 of 11
latest reply