cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did the folk art message go???

kimmeldoll
Scout
Hi all, I thought I saw a folk art post and I tried to get together some pics to share.. By the time I got back , it was gone but I wanted to ask , just what makes a piece folk art and does it have to be one of a kind?? I have some pieces that I would consider folk art and was hoping to share but the message disappeared on me:( Gloria
"Everyone Needs At Least One"
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Morning Folks........Gloria.......Sorry,but after carefull consideration,and keeping in line with the Antique Theme,decided best to cancel.Have been involved with Folk Art for 20 years on a small scale.I have some Antique Folk Art-early Rare pieces........Please post your pictures,would like to see ..........Folk Art doesnt have to be one of a kind,but I dont think it can be identical.Copies of things allready done isnt Folk Art.A lot of things being made today are Folk Craft.Ive seen a Ball team made up,all playing ball,dressed alike-its Original.But if he was to make another team just like it,it would be considered a craft.But he could make a Ball team of All the Teams their are-all different uniforms-different positions-they would be original.I know someone who made --A Musical Band of Cats Playing Fiddles-Banjos-Guitars Organ-other instruments,all about 30 inches tall-standing.All painted up life like,this guy was a master carver.He sold the 8-9 cats for $2,000..to an antique Dealer.He shipped them to a Big auction in New York-They went for $25,000.He made a lot of items,all different.He is listed in many of the Folk Art Books. Thanks for posting
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

kimmeldoll
Scout
HI Gary, I will post a couple of items in my album for you to see.. I love this area of collecing too.. thanks for looking! gloria
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

kimmeldoll
Scout
I decided to post them here instead of the album... Michael Cousino is a friend of mine and a Veteran of Vietnam. He makes small scenes of what he encountered while there and many of them are heart wrenching to see ,but the detail is amazing person. As Historian in the tiny place we lived in, I did a display to honor our Vets and he was one of the honored guest.. When he left , he gave me this diorama of his first night in Vietnam when a Vietcong was sneaking into camp. He had to defend his life that night and won.. I was pleased to accept his gift. He has been written up in a book and is responsible for the War Memorial in Massena NY.. He has also displayed his work in Washington..He never sells any of his work and has made many of these small scenes to share with people.. This is him with his back to the camera This bird was done by a carver in northwest Florida and I like the style.. Are they both considered folk art??
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Gloria...i think the bird is a form of Folk art,you would have to know what he was carving-to see if its Folk Art -or a good representive of a Contempary piece.Its a good carving......As a boy growing up around around wildlife-Duck hunters-carvers-ive seen a lot of Ducks,but the first Decoy i carved,people told me it looked like a rooster.Now -looking back-that was a prime piece of Folk Art.The army things are folk art.....Some folk art jumps out at you,and others you have to study.Will post a picture of an early folk art piece made 15 years ago.Somehow we managed to keep one. Gary
Message 5 of 5
latest reply