cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weiss Signed & Unsigned

susanat777
Enthusiast
This thread is for the real deal. Weiss Repro is a different thread. For those wanting to post pictures to the description and don't know how, you can email me the pictures and will post them for you. Weiss had signed and unsigned pieces. We can find out how to search for the unsigned pieces and verify them with the backs of signed pieces. Will be posting more information shortly.
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Weiss Signed & Unsigned

P.S.--It's similar to the sig in the 3rd picture, but those letters look fancy. The ones on my piece are (again I'm struggling for a term) block? letters. Pin back has a defined texture.
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Weiss Signed & Unsigned

susanat777
Enthusiast
Have Jacqui take a look at it.
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Weiss Signed & Unsigned

westernwallart
Enthusiast
High Susan and all, Unless you have matching pieces you have to be very careful calling unsigned Weiss. For example the butterfly in Singed Beautifies of Costume jewelry by Marcia Sparkles Brown Page 163 (the multicolor one). I have one signed Kramer that is identical construction. I have about a dozen of this butterfly in different colors. I have over 200 pieces of Weiss. I have yet to see an original raised Weiss signature. I have posted a few original Weiss photographs on my web site http://www.texas-jalapeno-shop.com/weiss-photo-album.htm You may copy and post any if these pictures to the photo album if you wish. I will be posting more pictures when I have time. I do love Weiss. Loretta
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Weiss Signed & Unsigned

aunteunie
Enthusiast
Hi Loretta, I took a look at your site, very nice. You sound like you are really going to be an asset here. BTW, I'm from Texas as well, though now I'm transplanted to Sacramento, CA. Betty
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Weiss Signed & Unsigned

lvpoollassie
Enthusiast
Hi Lorretta glad to see you posting we talked last week ,I am drooling looking at all your prettys I have a few of the same in other colors ,I do have a great book that features a # of unsigned weiss pieces ,I personally only buy and sell signed weiss and have found even with there demis that they signed all three pieces ,nice of you to share thanks they are yummy Jacqui
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Weiss Signed & Unsigned

Here is some information from Julia Carroll. Weiss jewelry marks are easy to read and changed very little over the 30 years the company was in operation. The Weiss name can be stamped on the piece or applied to an oval cartouche. "WEISS" printed in caps...1942. Sometimes this mark appears in an oval cartouche, and IT can also be stamped INTO the metal of the piece. "A W Co". with the "W" enlarged and sporting a crown..1950. This is possibly a mark used by Albert Weiss to identify his personal designs, but I am unable to verify this fact. This is a rare mark, and the information about it is limited. "Albert Weiss" in script ..1951, "WEISS" in script ....1951, "Weissco"...1951, There is some speculation among collectors about whether or not the name Weissco is a mark of Albert Weiss. In my opinion (Julia Carroll), based on the look of the jewelry with this mark, Weissco is a legitimate Weiss signature and a relatively rare one. "Weiss" in caps, with copyright symbol...It is unclear when this mark was first used. She goes on to say that sometimes the pieces are not marked and that they were sold to department stores who sold them under their name. These unmarked pieces do not command the same money. She goes on to say, "For the most part, Weiss jewelry is well designed . Avoid purchasing unsigned Weiss jewelry unless the unmarked piece is obviously part of the set. Unfortunately, sometimes only one piece in a group is marked! Weiss jewelry signed " A W Co.," with a crown over the W, is highly collectible. Note: Reproductions of Weiss Christmas trees are appearing in the vintage market place. Use caution. He is noted for the pave icing that wraps around his pieces. Speaking on my behalf I have some Weiss pieces and will get a picture to you. It shows that pave icing. Albert Weiss founded the company in 1942. After his death Michael his son, continued the business until 1972.
Message 21 of 21
latest reply