cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Victorian fakes

Folks, it is time to take a look at some of the stuff being sold as genuine Victorian jewelry. I am not talking aabout the bad fakes or reproductions coming out of China. I want to discuss items going for major dollars that are highly questionable. Let's start with a few "tricks" I see being used by big antiques sellers. 1) lay your peice next to a peice of the genuine item in a guide book & take a pic. 2) Display the ring,bracelet, in an old antique looking box.(used a lot) 3)Use the antique jewelry words without any knowldege of what they mean-French "bla bla" era. Now, take a look again at some of those listings & let me know what looks odd to you. This is to be educational, not bashing..
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Victorian fakes

susanat777
Enthusiast
lol Halarious. Did anyone, by the way, report that guy selling 1880 bakelite! Too funny.
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Victorian fakes

I have been out of town for the last several days. Good to see this discussion. Dedeberry- keep running the info. Antiqmaddy thanks. With all the fakes out there I sometimes am reluctant to comment. If it shines too much on the back, usually it is recent. Gee wiz, great observation. Guess I'll shut up for a while. See ya.
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Victorian fakes

Hey hey-We want YOUR input! I just saw a listing for a Victorian ring with white gold.. Not possible. When DID white gold start happening??.I know it was not during Vic times..
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Victorian fakes

White gold was developed in 1912 to imitate the popular platinum. So if it is white gold,you are right, NOT Victorian!
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Victorian fakes

susanat777
Enthusiast
Shows ya how dumb I am; I thought white gold was platinum. Or is it that platinum is higher quality of gold then white gold? dedeberry can you help with that issue? I know that rhodium is derived from ore found in platinum. Perhaps someone can give us some info on that too. Someday, when I get busy, I'll post all that info in our library for easy access under metals. Thinking divisions of jewelry descriptions starting with what maddy is sharing with us. You go girl!
Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Victorian fakes

White gold is an alloy of gold, nickel and zinc. Platinum is a rare heavy element. It can be alloyed with other metals when making jewelry. You are right about Rhodium, the same ore that platinum comes from contains 5 other metals, one of them is Rhodium, another is Paladium. I forgot the others, I could look them up. Different colors of gold are made by varying the alloys, such as more copper for rose gold.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Victorian fakes

And you are not dumb!
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Victorian fakes

Jewelry is normally made from alloys, mixtures of two or more metals. Gold, for example, is alloyed (combined) with metals such as silver, copper and zinc to make it harder, to change its color and/or to reduce its cost. Platinum alloys are usually made by combining platinum with ruthenium, iridium, palladium, cobalt or copper. When comparing fine jewelry prices, find out the platinum or gold content of the metal. It's called fineness-the amount of gold or platinum in relation to 1000 parts. For example, gold with a fineness of 750 has 750 parts (75%) gold and 250 parts of other metals. An alloy containing 95% platinum has a fineness of 950. In some countries, the karat is also used as a measure of gold purity. One karat is 1/24 pure, so 24 karat represents pure gold. Metal containing 75% pure gold is 18 karat (18K) gold. 24K is 99.9% Gold 22K is 91.6% Gold 18K is 75.0% Gold 14K is 58.3% Gold 10K is 41.6% Gold Other Jewelry Metal Terms Budget-priced jewelry is made with the following metal types. Gold filled (GF): Composed of a layer of gold mechanically bonded to a base metal using heat and pressure. In the United States, the layer must be at least 10K gold and 1/20th of the total weight of the object. Gold overlay or rolled gold plate (RGP): Same as gold filled except the gold layer is thinner. It can be from 1/20th to 1/40th of the total weight of the object. Gold Electroplate (GEP): Plating with a gold layer that is at least 7/1,000,000 of an inch thick. The object is dipped in a gold plating solution while an electrical current is used to bond the gold particles of the solution to the metal surface. The thickness of the gold depends upon the amount and duration of the current. Gold versus Platinum The natural beauty of gold, along with its workability, high value and history has made it the world's most important jewelry metal. Nevertheless, it's facing strong competition from platinum. In the 1920's and 30's, platinum was the preferred metal for engagement and wedding rings in America and Europe. This was because platinum can be thin and dainty, yet sturdy, resistant to wear and better at securing stones than gold. Then in World War II, the U. S. government declared platinum a strategic metal and banned its use in all non-military applications, including jewelry. Because of strong consumer preference for platinum's neutral color, white gold was substituted for platinum. White gold is created from yellow gold by adding metals such as copper, zinc, silver and/or palladium. After the embargo was lifted, platinum did not regain its previous popularity in America because white gold was less expensive and easier to work with, and the public accepted it. Platinum is again becoming the metal of choice for settings and wedding and engagement rings. Consumers are discovering that most platinum alloys are harder, denser, and more durable than 14K and 18K gold. In addition, the white metal compliments diamonds that are colorless. Unlike white gold, it does not need to be plated with rhodium to look white. There are advantages to gold jewelry. Gold earrings and necklaces are more comfortable because they are lighter in weight than platinum if they're the same style. Gold has a distinctive yellow color, it cost less, and more jewelers are trained to work with it. Gold compliments the skin tone of some people more than white metals. Geographic sources: In 1999, South Africa was the largest producer of gold, followed in descending order by the United States, Australia, Canada, China, Indonesia, Russia and Peru. Approximately 70% of the world's platinum is mined in South Africa, 20% in Russia, 6% in North America and the rest elsewhere. © Copyright 2005 - DIAMONDS.GEMSTONES.GOLD. LTD
Message 23 of 23
latest reply