cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with id

Can someone help identify this? I can only guess. Came in a bag of estate jewelry. 2 1/4" diameter and appears to be stone. Many thanks!IMG_2142.JPGIMG_2143.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Please help with id

So strange! Don’t know what it can be other than a pendant without a bail. The stone looks carnelian. Make sure you check that the crystals are glass. I had a very ugly brooch that sold for $6. I saw it for sale a year later for 2k. The stones were diamonds.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I will do that. Who would have thought diamonds. Is it possible it's a sew on brooch? I also thought possibly carnelian. Thanks so much for your help.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hi, it looks like it could be carved butterscotch bakelite. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Below is a link to some examples of carved bakelite. I’ve seen a few buttons similar to your item altho yours is missing its attachment. 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/709739222499308017/

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you. It's stone and 2 1/4"
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hi, yes, I heard it was likely stone but thought i'd throw out a possible. I have seen soapstone and agate carved into intricate designs, also in that reddish color. Good luck with the ID. It is really a nice piece!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Find a rock store or pawnshop, they will tell you what it is.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Looks like agate to me too. 

I agree with the the above statement ^^^^^ that it's probably a sewn on medallion of some sort.  See the holes in the carved stone on the sides?  Probably had thread at one point that attached it to a hat, purse, tote , jacket etc. as a decorative piece. 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Could be red agate, here is a photo of a modern carved piece.

Red Jade also a possibility, maybe even Carnelian?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply