cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marcel Boucher brooch?

Hi I have an unmarked pin I believe could be a Boucher. It is a gold tone, enamel guilloche Phoenix bird. It’s 3-1/3 x 3”.  I saw one on the web while searching. Is there any visual way to identify this is a Boucher?  Thank you. 

5EFEDB7E-3FEF-4D09-BBEF-FD2FC6FA3E62.jpeg

DF51217E-CFB7-457F-921A-158F192385A3.jpeg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Marcel Boucher brooch?

Honestly, if this were mine, I would be very hesitant to call it a Boucher. I have dug around online and seen this brooch in a few different platforms, being sold as Boucher and referencing a different brooch when trying to attribute it to him. The design on the two different brooches is different, and I personally wouldn't use that as evidence that this is Boucher. 

I have only come across one piece of unsigned Boucher, and I didn't even realize it was his until after it sold (for way more than I thought it should have!) That was a much older sterling piece, that still had the stock number on it, and I was thinking the Phrygian cap mark had worn off over the years. 

The construction of this piece does look very high quality, and it is a very pretty brooch, but I would definitely not feel comfortable calling it a Boucher in a listing title. I may mention in the description that it is very similar to a Boucher piece and give reference to the 1042P brooch that has similarities, but I wouldn't go further than that. 

You could also post this to the other jewelry forum, Jewelry & Gemstones Board Group, as they get more traffic and someone there might be able to help identify this for you.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Originally I did not think this was Boucher.. however..

take a look. https://oldcostumejewelry.com/marcel-boucher-bird-of-paradise-guilloche-enamel-brooch-vintage-1960s/

I would list it as unsigned Boucher with multiple disclaimers and references. A true collector WILL know. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I would replace the missing rhinestone eye FYI. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Right, I saw that listing, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable selling this as a Boucher. The brooch they are using as a reference is a different design. Many jewelry companies copied or made similar style brooches to the high end companies, and I don't think that this is concrete enough to sell it as a Boucher piece. The 1042P Brooch they are trying to match it to looks very different than this one.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thank you. That is the listing I saw too. My eBay partner had bought a huge bag of jewelry & we had found this in a separate bag. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you. I will list this in that forum that you posted.  I too have had many items that were unsigned designer estate pieces that my eBay partner inherited from her grandmother. We were lucky enough a few eBay sellers reached out & told us. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply