cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this T Bar Pin Brooch Antique? Garnets or Rhinestones? Help please!

Hi again! You have been SO helpful in the past, that I'm back with another "Mystery" Brooch. 🙂 At least, it's a Mystery to me! The Fastening is a T-Bar, which I know may be Antique; but it also has a "Safety C-Clasp". But this one is in an Upward Position when Open, if that makes sense? And I've read somewhere that this is also an Early Clasp? Lastly the point of pin extends about 1/4" inch. Love the Tiered Star Flower Design. Another question is whether the faceted Red Stones are Glass, Rhinestone, or Garnets? They are mounted with the "Tip" upward. Rather Unusual. And looks to be Brass? Thanks SO much for any info! IMG_0470.jpgIMG_0471.jpgIMG_0474.jpgIMG_0475.jpg

Curious Minds want to Know
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Is this T Bar Pin Brooch Antique? Garnets or Rhinestones? Help please!

Hi it's definitely an older piece especially with the Tbar and that type of clasp (I have several very old pieces with the clasp that opens on top instead of the side) . I don't think those are garnets because I believe the backs would be open to let light through (like with diamonds) . I also think you could call it a starfish type of brooch as well as a flower brooch.

It's gorgeous whatever it is 🙂 Good Luck with it.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

That's a Victorian brooch.  It could as easily be silver and real garnets as costume, but I'd test to be sure.  Someone replaced the C clasp with a rollover, but a long time ago.   I've seen weirder stuff from the Victorian era when it comes to metal and stones.  This could be gold over silver, tarnished silver, costume....  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I’m so grateful to get your input! I was hoping it might be 1800’s? But to hear it’s “Old” makes my day! Any idea where it might be from? Thank you!
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I’m so excited to hear it’s Victorian!😃 Does that really mean it’s 1800’s?
And Starfish makes sense! I’ll try to test the metal; it looks like Brass to me? And the stones might be glass if not garnets? I love how they’re mounted with points up. Is that normal? They certainly look like Garnets. I need a jeweler to look at it perhaps. Again, do you have any idea where it was made?
I do plan on listing it; so just want to get the details right if possible. ☺️I love learning about vintage jewelry!! Thank you SO much!!
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hey Guys! Look what I found on Ebay! This pin is almost identical! What do you think? 🙂 I tested mine but it was inconclusive. I feel sure mine must also be 8k gold? Thanks for your Help and Opinions!
 https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-8k-GOLD-GARNET-PIN-Flower-VICTORIAN-Bohemian-ROSE-Cut/333124893167?...

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Czech is likely, or Bohemian to be precise.  The metal would need testing.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks so much for your input!
Message 8 of 8
latest reply