cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying inlaid materials

Can someone help me identify the materials that are inlaid in these earrings? They are unmarked. The earring itself appears to at least be silver plated due to tarnish. The findings are not silver.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

They look synthetic materials to me but the earrings need to be closely observed.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The inlays may well be genuine stones. The green banded material appears to be genuine malachite, especially since the banding patterns are different in the two pieces so it looks slike a natural variability. The brown material below that looks like an agate of some sort. The dark blue stone in the upper right hand corner could be lapis and the lighter blue stone looks like turquoise, possibly treated to look better. The red inlay could be coral and I couldn't tell you what the yellow material is supposed to be.

I'm wondering if it might have been made by Southwestern native American hands.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I agree that these looks to be by a Native American jeweller.  I believe that the bottom stone is spiny oyster.

The stones appear to be genuine, but it's hard to be sure from just a photo.

Lea
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Did you run a magnet across the metal? Looks Zuni to me.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

synthetic_malachitestone_1024x1024.jpg

These are synthetic Malachite slabs.  The earrings are not signed. As I suggested; having an expert(preferably a G G) examine the piece to make sure of authenticity is the best route.

,the path is open 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the tip. For some reason I blanked on this one and hadn’t thought about it.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I would guess this could be enamel specially because they are separated with silver banding, discoloration is normal on old sterling, sterling has no odor and is lighter than plating. If it is sterling i would guess malachite but if only plated i would guess enamel.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thanks. I am going to have them checked out. 😊
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks I am going to have them checked out.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks I’m going to have them checked out.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply