cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with vintage cluster gem cocktail ring.

Hi gang. I recently acquired this vintage ring at an online estate auction, and have 2 questions. Is this truely a vintage ring, and is it gold? It was sold as a victorian 14k ring. Not sure of the era, but questioning the claim it is 14k. It is a bit tarnished, has a partially obscure what looks to be a 14, and maybe a partial k, has a rose gold, coppery color to it,  so I did the acid test. What has me concerned is the scratch test seemed a bit sketchy. When testing with 10k and 14k acid the scratch turned from gold to black, but did not dissolve. 18k and 22k it turned black and quickly dissolved. I thought maybe my acid was bad, but tested my 14k wedding ring and it stayed gold. Did I get taken, or when testing with acid will real gold turn blak but not dissolve? Thank you for your input!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I wouldn't consider myself a complete expert, but I've acid tested a lot of gold over the years, and never once saw gold turn black.  I think the fact that you compared your wedding ring, you answered your own question.  Even when testing gold filled material, it would dissolve and flake, but never turn black.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Perhaps it would be best to place a very small drop of the 9ct acid on the inner surface of the gold band itself. Firstly if it turns green and fizzes you know instantly it's not gold. Secondly if the acid sits on the surface and doesn't turn it darker or fizz you know almost 100% that's it's gold of some kind, and that it's likely 15k (or potentially higher), as this carat of gold was used extensivly in Victorian jewellry but is rarely used today. 

If you want to find out precisely the gold content of this item I'd suggest taking it to someone who can electronically test it. This has the benefit of being both accurate and non invasive.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply